PC won't Power up

edited August 2006 in Hardware
I had my computer on for about 2 weeks straight without turning it off. One day i smelled somthing burning and the next day when i went to load a cd into the cd rom drive the computer powered down. I tried turning it on but the only that happens is the power on light in the fromt of my PC turns on, a little red light on the motherboard comes on and the cooling fan on the side of my PC (has a clear window with a fan attahced) comes on for 2 seconds and turns off.

I figured i burned out my power supply but i brought a new one and installed it but I get the same results.

Please give any assistance you can?

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2006
    The bad psu may have fryed the board and/or cpu. (Assuming your not getting any beep codes)
  • edited July 2006
    The computer won't even start up and i tried a brand new power supply
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    seems like one of those multi faceted comp problems...my suggestion..since u got it twqo weeks ago,....RMA eveything...and buy yourself a different PSU...with psu's you dont wanna go cheap, or else something can burn...also

are you sure you put thermal paste on the CPU between the cpu and heatsink? thats what i did during my first build, cuz you wouldnt normally think you need something in between..my suggestions:

send everything back, your still covered under most warrenties provided by the website you got it off
    buy a new PSU, a different one, from newegg.com might i suggest an OCZ modstream...
    *** question before u buy psu...what is ur hardware like??? what cpu etc are you running??****
    if you did not apply thermal paste during ur friust run, id suggest getting OCZ silver +5 you can get that off newegg.com
  • edited July 2006
    I brought a new power supply, motherboard, Heatsink and fan and the OCZ silver +5, installed them yesterday. At first I was getting the same response; i powered on the PC and only the power led light would come on and nothing else. I powered down and tried again but this time my system came up, it started going into windows, completed the disk check then right before you get to the logon screen it just powered down and will not start again. what should I do? can i just buy a new motherboard, new processor, new powersupply and just rebuild using all my old drives?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    First, since it sounds real dead, pull the mobo from the case and give it a good look. Both sides. Any dark spots? buldged capacitors?
    Pull everything except the CPU and cooler, one stick of memory, and the video card. Power up again.
    The fault may not be in the mobo. Something else could be overloading and triping the PSU off.
  • edited August 2006
    I tried that this morning but was getting the same results; only the power on light come on and nothing else. what should i try next.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Any news girlneedshelp?

Could you provide us with some details of your hardware setup? I.e. what brand/model of motherboard, CPU, powersupply, RAM etc are in the system? Did you build the system yourself? and if so, do you have experience doing that type of work?

Best of luck!