removed old drive, now wont boot

BoneBone Canadia
edited July 2006 in Hardware
ok, i had a hdd drive for a while and used it for everything. than some stuff screwed up.

so i got another harddrive, installed windows on it and kept other drive, which still has everythhing on it.

so than my freind needs a drive till he can buy one so i was gonna let him use my extra one.. but when i unhooked it and starte dup comp it says

PRESS ANY KEY TO REBOOT

i have the drives set corrently. it is set as single.

so i dont get it. and its set to boot from that right drive from bios.

but as soon as i hooked other drive up. it works fine.

im perplexed. can someone help

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2006
    Reinstall windows.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited July 2006
    would repairing windows fix it? i dont want to reinstall everything again.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    It wouldn't hurt to get a boot disk with NTFS support and make sure that you haven't confused the two drives. I'm not trying to insult you - most of us have probably mixed things up at some point. :o

Was your swap file located on the drive you want to remove? If so, move it over to the Windows drive.

What drive letter is Windows installed on?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Doesn't windows setup a second drive as a system drive as well sometimes? It sucks becuase I've had this same thing happen to me and the only way I could get it to work again was to reinstall windows, I think I had windows on a different drive letter than C though which might have cuased it.
  • BoneBone Canadia
    edited July 2006
    i got it all solved now, just put other drive in. dragged over any files i needed . formatted drive, reinstalled windows put, put my files back on.

now im all good.

thanks for help.