TEC Cold Plate?

digitaltreedigitaltree Suffern, NY
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I am thinking about putting a TEC in for cooling on my computer, using it, of course, with water cooling. But I don't understand the cold plate. Is it necessary to put a cold plate between the TEC and the CPU, or can I just put the TEC on the CPU itself?

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2006
    do you mean a peltier? if so, you'll need to water proof your motherboard because they get so cold they condense water from the air. back in the day people used neoprene and calk around the CPU socket to water proof it. as far as i know the pelter goes directly on top f the CPU under the water cooling heat sink or a REALLY high end air heat sink

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2006
    Hi digitaltree,

Generally you want to use a coldplate (about 1/2" thick piece of copper) to ensure good contact with the core. The surface of a peltier is not always the best for direct contact on a CPU. I think there may be other reasons for that as well, but I don't recall off the top of my head.

Peltiers can be a lot of fun, but be sure to do a LOT of reading first. It is very easy to damage your system without the correct preparation as Armo has mentioned. Also, you'll definitely want to look at all of the pros and cons before investing any money into a TEC setup. There are some strong cons, including electrical and thermal inefficiency. You'll dump a lot of heat into your room via the WC system and a lot of electricity will be required to run a decent sized peltier.
  • digitaltreedigitaltree Suffern, NY
    edited July 2006
    I've been doing tons of reading on using peltiers. I understand the condensation prevention, and am planning on using some silicon to insulate the circuitry on the mobo as well as neoprene around the socket. I'll also be using an aux PSU for the 226W peltier, and I'm fairly confident that my water cooling setup will be able to dissapate the heat. The only thing I'm not understanding is the cold plate concept.

Why is the surface of a peltier not good for direct contact on a CPU? Is it the same concept of why you use thermal paste on heatsinks and such: to fill in the micro-valleys in the metals? Or is there another reason? And is 1/2" the best to use, or can it be thinnner; say, 1/4" or 1/8"?
    edited July 2006
    Also, I was just browsing around, would it be better to use a 437W peltier, or should I just stick with the 226W?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2006
    Why is the surface of a peltier not good for direct contact on a CPU? Is it the same concept of why you use thermal paste on heatsinks and such: to fill in the micro-valleys in the metals? Or is there another reason? And is 1/2" the best to use, or can it be thinnner; say, 1/4" or 1/8"?

That is how I understand it. I believe sandwhiching the TEC between the coldplate and the block also helps to ensure good contact. The copper cold plate will be much harder than the tec as well. When mounting pressure pushes it against your CPU, it will not buckle or compress like a pelt surface. I don't think the width matters much, just so long as it is solid and flat.
    Also, I was just browsing around, would it be better to use a 437W peltier, or should I just stick with the 226W?

That all depends on how cold you want to get, and how much power you have to supply the peltier. A 226W pelt is going to need at least 20-25A on a +12V supply. This is usually hard enough to manage, so I'd probably recommend sticking with 226W. You should get some awesome temps with a pelt like that.

What WC setup are you planning to use with this? Also, what type of AUX PSU are you using?

muddocktor has a lot of experience with TECs. I'm hoping he'll stop by and provide some advice too.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Is it just me, or did peltiers get a hell of a lot cheaper, cause last time I checked, a 226 watts peltier cost lost of money. This one is on $30
    edited July 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    That all depends on how cold you want to get, and how much power you have to supply the peltier. A 226W pelt is going to need at least 20-25A on a +12V supply. This is usually hard enough to manage, so I'd probably recommend sticking with 226W. You should get some awesome temps with a pelt like that.

What WC setup are you planning to use with this? Also, what type of AUX PSU are you using?

muddocktor has a lot of experience with TECs. I'm hoping he'll stop by and provide some advice too.

I remembered after that last post that my aux PSU is 300W, so I'll just stick with the 226W pelt. It's a Meanwell II 300W that I'm buying from CrazyPC. And I'm using 1/2" tubing in a Swiftech setup, and I'm considering using Coollaboratory Liquid PRO TIM.
  • edited July 2006
    The Meanwell is a good quality unit, digitaltree, so there are no worries there. That is the model I used, but the 24v version. They do produce a significant amount of heat when loaded though, so don't plan to mount it inside your case.

You need a cold plate for the reasons that lemonlime posted. A tec has to be firmly clamped between the waterblock and cold plate with all it's suface area being covered with the coldplate and waterblock or it will definitely burn out due to hot spots. The cold plate for my Maze1C-1 is 1/4" thick copper.

As far as your thermal interface material is concerned, stay strictly away from any tim that contains metal, be it that coollaboratory crap or AS5. I believe that the coollabs crap is conductive, which you definitely don't want anywhere near that tec element. And I had foiling problems with AS3 with my tec too, which lead to the leads smoking on the 120 watt element I was using. The silver in the AS3 actually plated out on the tec element under the intense cold and pressure and I believe it became somewhat conductive and eventually shorted the power leads on the tec. You would be much better off using something like Arctic Alumina or Ceramique instead, since they contain no metal.

What waterblock/coldplate and radiator are you planning to use with this setup? Also, how do you plan to insulate the socket area to prevent condensation problems?
    edited July 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    What waterblock/coldplate and radiator are you planning to use with this setup? Also, how do you plan to insulate the socket area to prevent condensation problems?

Thanks for the advice on the TIM. I wasn't aware a metallic material would affect the TEC like that.

As for my water cooling, I was looking for something not too complicated to set up, like the Aquian 510 by Koolance, but because of it's lower heat dissipation, I am going to add another rad with another 120 fan. I'm thinking the HX-360 from Koolance, as well. As for my waterblock, I'm looking at the Swiftech Storm.

As for insulation, I was planning on using a silicon conformal coating around the socket and PCB as well as using neoprene to enclose the socket and pelt, using RTV or some kind of rubber adhesive to seal it.

How does this sound?
  • edited July 2006
    A Storm is a great waterblock, but not for peltier cooling. You need a waterblock that is set up specifically for peltier cooling, such as the DD Maze 4-1, which also comes with the coldplate too. I would go with the brass top on it personally for the extra $6. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the Storm too, even with the brass top and coldplate.

DD also sells some neoprene kits with an assortment of thicknesses for insulating around the socket. On the socket itself, you will need to fill the zif socket with some dielectric grease to prevent moisture within the socket itself and you will also need some neoprene on the back side of the mobo in the socket area for the same reason. For your RTV, look for some without acetic acid or at least as low an acetic acid content as possible to prevent it from eating up components and traces on the mobo.

For a radiator, I would choose no less than a large, triple 120mm fan rad such as the Black Ice GTS Stealth 360 or something similar to it. Just remember, you will be dumping a heat load similar to watercooling a cpu plus 2 high end gpu's such as the X1900XTX gpu's due to the peltier element and you will need all the radiator surface area you can get.

For a pump, I would choose an Eheim 1250 if you want to go with a 120v pump. For automating powering up the pump, DD has this relay kit. For a 12v pump, I think the D-5 pump might be a good choice, but to tell the truth I'm not up on the latest on 12v pumps myself. Csimon could probably fill you in on 12v pumps better than I.

I hope this helps your planning out, digitaltree. At least it will give you lots to think about. :D
    edited July 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    A Storm is a great waterblock, but not for peltier cooling. You need a waterblock that is set up specifically for peltier cooling, such as the DD Maze 4-1, which also comes with the coldplate too. I would go with the brass top on it personally for the extra $6. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the Storm too, even with the brass top and coldplate.

Thanks. I guess it always helps to talk to someone who's done it. One thing I'm confused on is whether that DD waterblock comes with a pelt. It sounds like it doesn't. I just want to know whether I need to buy one specifically, or whether I'll already have one.
  • edited July 2006
    No, you will have to buy your peltier element. DangerDen also has the 226 watt peltier elements for sale too. They are a good vendor to deal with in my experience also.