Problem with Canon MP730 Printer

SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hi all,
I am just about to throw this heap of junk in the skip!

After 3 years of hassle free printing I started getting streaks and crap prints and copies
I was advised it was the printhead and to replace it
$130 later I receved the new printhead and installed it.
I noticed the cart carriage did not move when I opened the case and does not return to the side when the case is closed.
The alarm light blinks continually
I get the "check printer - press resume" message every time it is powered up
I press resume and the alarm light is still flashing at me.
No functions work - print scan fax or copy
I have called tech support who talked me thru clearing all data in memory. they then gave up and said I need to take i to a service centre.

I have just spent $130 on this and dont want to spend more on it. I will go and buy an Epson or HP MFC before I spend another penny on this.

So can anyone help me save my money???? (Please)

Comments

• edited August 2006
    I am having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with no resolution from Canon support. Did you get yours fixed, and if so, what was the problem?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Yikes, sounds like some kind of mechanical or electrical failure has occurred. The problem with printers are that they are now designed as 'buy and trash' items. Printers today are priced very cheaply (to get you to stuck into purchasing expensive ink cartridges). My suggestion would be to remove your 'like new' print head, and to sell it on ebay or some other location. You may be able to get a good chunk of your cost back, and invest in a new printer. In my experience, a repaired 'home grade' printer never quite works the same once repaired. If the printer is an expensive model (I'm not familiar with MP730) it may be worth while to pay the repair cost.

Best of luck! and please let us know if you resolve the issue.