laptop memory

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Hardware
My friends latop that I am working on is an Averatec 6100 series. Right now it has 2*256@DDR333, it has a P4 2.8, I suppose it will have 2*512, but wanted to know if I could bump it up to DDR400?

That aside, what memory would you all recomend for it, Im sure that the 333 and 400 speeds will be similarly priced. I think that it has a Sis chipset, Im not sure right now, because the windows install is all screwed up right now, and I am waiting for an adapter to pull some data off before I reinstall. Will post later, but,

What would you recomend, and how much of a performance increase can I expect going from 333 to 400? I think that the fsb is 800, but it may be 533, if it is 533 wouldnt I still get a little bit of an improvement, and if it is 800, then I should get a nice improvement, Trying to speed up his laptop a little, just make it a little snappier and keep pf usage to a minimum.

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Dpending on the chipset, i don't think it will auto to DDR400 if you put in DDR400 ram. However, PC2700 and PC3200 is more or less the same ram and should cost the same.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    If the price is similar, by all means go with the PC3200. Even if it downclocks to PC2700 (as mine did in my upgrade) you're not out anything. And there's a chance (depending on the chipset as Marcus said) that if you replace all the RAM in the notebook, that it will clock up to PC3200 speed. That's what my chipset would do - if I dismantled the whole thing and removed the other 256MB stick of PC2700...
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    If I do it, I am replacing both dimms, right now, it has 2 * 256, I want him to get 2 * 512. So after I get the laptop back to him, I am gonna try and sell him some OCZ.