RAM Enigma

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I took some G.Skill PC4400 RAM out of my main rig(2 sticks of 512), which was working perfectly and put it into the board I just bought from Gnome which is a ASUS A8V Deluxe. It's running with an AMD64 3500+ CPU in it. The computer started up (no beep tho) but refused to load windows.
It would read the windows disk and begin loading all the drivers and stuff necessary to start the windows installation, then it would go blank and restart.
I then used Budget RAM from another rig and windows loaded up no problem!

I put the G.Skill Ram in the rig I took the budget ram from and it didn't like it. Refused to post and gave off long beeps. Now here's the funny thing... If I put one stick in it worked perfectly. I alternated the sticks of RAM and tried them in the different slots. Posted each time. As soon as I put both in, wouldn't post.

Took the RAM back to the new rig with the A8V board, now loaded with WinXP Pro. Refused to post. Tried one stick works perfectly.

My question is: is it a timing problem or something that needs to be set in the Bios. Each stick of RAM seems to work individually but not together.
The only other thing I haven't tried is putting the RAM back into my main rig.

Any theories or suggestions???

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Run Memtest-86 on each stick individually in each rig. You may have a faulty stick, or perhaps just RAM which is not compatible with one or more of your boards.

If it passes all the tests, try playing with the timing and possibly bumping the voltage a teeny bit. If the system runs properly that way you should then rerun Memtest to make sure you're solid. :)
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Thanks for that advice prof.
    I fiddled around with the Bios a bit and that seemed to work.
    I now have both sticks up and running no prob!!
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Some memory is a bit more sensitive to voltage than others. It may be that the GS really needs just a touch more.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Glad you got it. :cheers: