Possible to Connect PS2 to Dell 3007 Monitor?

edited July 2006 in Hardware
Does anyone know a way I can connect my PS2 up to my Del 3007 monitor.

I believe my 3007 is dual-link DVI.

Worse still, will the new PS3 be able to connect up to it? I took for granted it would

Mickey

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yes, you will just need to get a HDMI to DVI converter cable. You may need a converter box, at least you did with VGA to Componet, but that was only if the signal had to be upconverted or downconverted, I think HDMI and DVI may not have to be.
  • edited July 2006
    Hello Airborn,

I have had a look for the cable you mention before posting here.

I couldn't find anything. Do you know of a specific place that has these in the UK?

Also will PS3 fit 3007 or don't you know? Just I don't want to spend £30 on a cable just to have to buy a new one in a few months.

Thanks for reply,

Mickey
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited July 2006
    PS2 doesn't have HDMI outputs, so I think you're out of luck on that front. The PS3 will have HDMI outputs, so a HDMI->DVI converter will work for that.
    edited July 2006
    deicist wrote:
    PS2 doesn't have HDMI outputs, so I think you're out of luck on that front. The PS3 will have HDMI outputs, so a HDMI->DVI converter will work for that.

Yeh, you just need HDMI>DVI, the only thing I dont know is if you need a box to convert the signal.

See cables will work IF The signal that the ps2/ps3 is broadcasting can be accepted by the display. That is why you sometimes see boxes that convert the signal to what the display wants.

I will post a few links to what you are looking for, and then you should be able to find some in the uk.

THIS is a page of converters/transcoders

Same thing.

This is a componet to VGA cable

This is a list of DVI to HDMI cable

afaik, hdmi/dvi doesnt need a converter transcoder because it is a digital link. I could be wrong.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Your monitor appears to only have a single DVI port on it. You can either drop some serious cash on an analog->digital transcoder ($600) or use a video capture device on your PC to display the PS2's signal on your desktop. I've done it the latter way and trust me when I say it sucks. The image quality is not that great and I can only recommend it if you have a slim PS2 and want to use a laptop's screen for travel. Bottom line is use a TV if you can.

The PS3 is another story. Your monitor has HDCP support so you'll actually be able to use the PS3 in high-definition mode. The signals used in HDMI are a subset of the ones for DVI (specifically the ones carrying digital video information) so you don't need a transcoder. The adapter cables are still expensive in my opinion but they'll come down over time.

What kind of video card does your PC have? I hope you realize you need a dual-link DVI capable video card to use that monitor at native resolution. As far as I know that includes some 7800GT cards and probably anything newer.

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited July 2006
    just wrote a huge reply and it vanished for no reason before posting!!!!!! grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@ bransor - I have a 7900GT. To run this monitor anywhere near its native res would require me winning the lottory and getting a quaud SLI setup:-0

As much as this monitor is great, my money would of been better spent ona bigger screen with less detail as imnevergoing to run such detail. IE a 37" 1080p monitor wouldof been better, however Dell (my fav make of monitor) only make 37" 720p monitor at the time of buying.

Cheers for the advice fella

@ airborn - thanks for taking the time to post links (thumbsups!!)

@ everyone
    Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply and post links etc etc. It realy is appreciated. I am getting a PS3 on release so may as well just wait until it comes out as opposed to spend the money needed on the PS2 to make it compatible.

Again, thanks guys - hey this forum is great - nice one
    edited July 2006
    Mickey123 wrote:
    just wrote a huge reply and it vanished for no reason before posting!!!!!! grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@ bransor - I have a 7900GT. To run this monitor anywhere near its native res would require me winning the lottory and getting a quaud SLI setup:-0

As much as this monitor is great, my money would of been better spent ona bigger screen with less detail as imnevergoing to run such detail. IE a 37" 1080p monitor wouldof been better, however Dell (my fav make of monitor) only make 37" 720p monitor at the time of buying.

Cheers for the advice fella

@ airborn - thanks for taking the time to post links (thumbsups!!)

@ everyone
    Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply and post links etc etc. It realy is appreciated. I am getting a PS3 on release so may as well just wait until it comes out as opposed to spend the money needed on the PS2 to make it compatible.

Again, thanks guys - hey this forum is great - nice one

Thanks for joining, we hope that you will remain an active member of the forum, no matter your technical experience. Also, another great way to say thanks is to Join Folding
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Mickey123 wrote:
    dransor - I have a 7900GT. To run this monitor anywhere near its native res would require me winning the lottory and getting a quaud SLI setup:-0

A 7900GT by itself should work just fine. You may want to switch Windows to a larger size mode though if you're having trouble reading small print.

I find that LCD TVs aren't made to the same quality specifications as LCD monitors though your mileage may vary. I have a 720p projector (Sanyo PLV-Z4) and I find 1280x720 to be just fine for all multimedia applications and web browsing though I'll admit it was projecting onto a 60" screen at the time. If you really want to blow some money on phat monitors though I'm given to understand that Samsung will be releasing their 80" panels to the mass market soon.

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited July 2006
    @ Airborn - thanks for the warm welcom fella.

@dransor,

I wasnt that im rich or anyhting, I just played the property game and so on moving hse me n the wife had a nice 2k to spend. I got my pride and joy monitor and she got something really interested like more shoes than a shoe shop???? women eh? She could of had a PC!! ;)

An 80" tv would be awsome but remember if you sit too close to it it will look awful. I think the ratio is something like at least two and a half times the screen size.
    In other words 80" screen - you need to sit for best pic "200 away or it will look pixalated.
    Mind you, if your giving one away,Ill gladly try it for you haha:crazy:

The 7900GT does work fine by itself but if you wanted to run it in its native res (tice that of 1080P!!!!!!!!!) you seriously would need 2 7900's. Well for gaming anyhow.

TBF I have no probs with this fantastic monitor except the res is unusable high.
    I think Dell would have sold more if it they capped the res at 1080P and made it say £500 cheaper by doing so, especially as this is the res for the PS3

Mickey