Geforce 6200 > Play CS > Blue Screen > Reboot

edited July 2006 in Hardware
hi all,

hope someone can help ~

I installed a PNY Geforce 6200 256mb 8x into my computer and used the cd's drivers and it seemed to be great untill i was playing counter-strike and got a random bluescreen then my machine automatically rebooted :(

i didnt have time to read the bluescreen, they kept changing but now it seems to be the same long one and i think it mentions something about memory but it has never been a problem before..... i have looked for options to disable cache in the BIOS but the only cache options are in the cpu, it says 'level 1 cache' and 'level 2' i disabled but didnt make a different just hammered the performence.

I notice that as i am playing counter-strike, every 7 or 8 seconds everything will jolt - like the fps will drop from 99 to 13... and the sound jolts with it

i have no idea why this is i thought it could be spyware but ive ran ad-aware and spy-bot they cant find anything.....

nvidia drivers are 81.67

i think it was working FINE untill i updated windows to service pack1 because i wanted to play the free game that came with the graphics card - the chronicles of riddick escape from butcher bay - but i didnt know that game was only compatible with servicepack1+ - the computer seems to play that game fine and i have played it for hours without the computer crashing - i dont know why that is... its not great performence but the fps is satisfying and it is doesnt get choppy every 8 seconds or something like on counter-strike or any half-life game :(

my system :

mobo: asus a7v8x
cpu: amd athlonxp 1800+
ram: 386mb ddr
gfx: pny geforce6200 256mb ddram on AGP8x

soundcard/ethernet/via is what came with the a7v8x

and for some reason i cant install the VIA and AC97 Update's onto my computer...... it says it is the wrong version ??!?!?!

i have a hot air extractor installed underneith the graphics card... i dont think
its getting too hot except wen i start my computer up it always says my CPU is too hot but it has never been a problem and has been fine for a couple years =/ [i will update that soon]

if anyone can help at all or needs more information...
Thanks...

Comments

• edited July 2006
    spiraltek wrote:
    hi all,

hope someone can help ~

I installed a PNY Geforce 6200 256mb 8x into my computer and used the cd's drivers and it seemed to be great untill i was playing counter-strike and got a random bluescreen then my machine automatically rebooted :(

i didnt have time to read the bluescreen, they kept changing but now it seems to be the same long one and i think it mentions something about memory but it has never been a problem before..... i have looked for options to disable cache in the BIOS but the only cache options are in the cpu, it says 'level 1 cache' and 'level 2' i disabled but didnt make a different just hammered the performence.

I notice that as i am playing counter-strike, every 7 or 8 seconds everything will jolt - like the fps will drop from 99 to 13... and the sound jolts with it

i have no idea why this is i thought it could be spyware but ive ran ad-aware and spy-bot they cant find anything.....

nvidia drivers are 81.67

i think it was working FINE untill i updated windows to service pack1 because i wanted to play the free game that came with the graphics card - the chronicles of riddick escape from butcher bay - but i didnt know that game was only compatible with servicepack1+ - the computer seems to play that game fine and i have played it for hours without the computer crashing - i dont know why that is... its not great performence but the fps is satisfying and it is doesnt get choppy every 8 seconds or something like on counter-strike or any half-life game :(

my system :

soundcard/ethernet/via is what came with the a7v8x

and for some reason i cant install the VIA and AC97 Update's onto my computer...... it says it is the wrong version ??!?!?!

i have a hot air extractor installed underneith the graphics card... i dont think
    its getting too hot except wen i start my computer up it always says my CPU is too hot but it has never been a problem and has been fine for a couple years =/ [i will update that soon]

if anyone can help at all or needs more information...
    Thanks...

You seem to have a hardware problem. IMHO your symptoms indicate either CPU heating up or PSU weak.

Please try to install Speedfan to monitor the CPU voltages and temperatures while playing CS. You can download it with the following link.
    http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Speedfan has a plotting feature that records the voltage and temperature values in the background while you do other things on your computer.

Please download Prime95 and run the second torture test for at least one hour. This will test the stability of CPU. You can also check the CPU temperature with Speedfan while running Prime95. You can get Prime95 from the following link. Please tell what is the CPU temperature and voltage before starting Prime95 and while running it.
    http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Please specify your power supply as well.

Also download Memtest from the following link, test your rmemory and post your results. This will eliminate or confirm the possible RAM problem.
    http://www.memtest.org/

Finally, I do not think so but, it would not hurt to reseat your AGP card.

PS: Your Windows setup also seem to need clean-up or reinstall. Did you uninstall the previous video drivers and run DriverCleanerPro before installing the new GF6200? If not, you can still uninstall the previous drivers and run Driver Cleaner at this point. You can download Driver Cleaner Pro with the following link.

http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.html

After you do these, I would recommend installing SP2 for Windows XP and then uninstalling and reinstalling your current Nvidia video drivers.

PS: Do not disable L1 and L2 cache in the BIOS, it is not good for performance and will not help you resolve the crash problem.

Good luck !
  • edited July 2006
    thanks,
    the powersupply says 500w ?

i replaced the agp card and uninstalled the drivers w/ drivercleaner and installed the default drivers in the cd, i still seem to get very choppy computer every 8-10 seconds when playing counterstrike and i notice the fps drops very low and the ping goes very high [i have 8mbit] .... can you recommend a good antivirus ?
  • edited July 2006
    temperature says its 79c on speedfan..
    im not sure how to use prime95
    my boardis asus a7v8x-x the temp monitor in bios isnt right on
  • edited July 2006
    I use a licensed copy of McAfee VirusScan which has been working reliably for me since several years. As for the free antivirus program, I suggest AntiVir Personal Edition 7 or AVG Free Edition. You can check and download them here. I hear many people are also happy with Kaspersky but it is down below the popularity list in Majorgeeks. You can also give it a shot.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=29&sort=25

Choppiness is not a stability problem, I was trying address the crash problem you were experiencing. Choppiness in CS is most probably due to your network connection. Your network connection could be 8Mbit/s but it does not mean that you are getting a constant 8Mbit/s from your computer. There are many factors that can cause network connection problems. For example, if you have a low quality wireless network adapter it can cause high latency or frequent disconnections. Same if the wireless adapter is not fully compatible with your router. You need to give some more information about your network connection, i.e. is it wireless, if so, what kind of wireless adapter? do you use a router, if so what is the router? or do you connect to cable/dsl modem directly? There might even be problem from the cable/dsl company. You might be too far away from the dsl central office or cable network can be too much congested in your neighborhood, etc.

So, you do not have any blue screens anymore?
  • edited July 2006
    i was running prime95 and my computer shutdown and woouldnt switch back on for abit i am worried, heh.

something IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

OVSound2.sys
    0xFCA10000
    0x8053dSAF

:<

i think it may be a powerfailure ackkkkkkkkkk
  • edited July 2006
    spiraltek wrote:
    temperature says its 79c on speedfan..
    im not sure how to use prime95
    my boardis asus a7v8x-x the temp monitor in bios isnt right on

79C CPU temperature is very high, I would not expect the processor to run anything stable at that temperature. Are you sure you are reading the correct temperature? You can check the following way. Start Speedfan first. You do not need to install Prime95, just unzip into a folder. Then open the folder with Windows Explorer and double click Prime95.exe. It will ask you to "Join GIMPS" or "Just stress testing". Choose " Just Stress Testing". In the Prime95 windows, click "Options -> Torture Test ..." menu. In the small windows click "In place large FFTs ..." radio button and click OK. It will start the endless testing cycle (endless only if your CPU/memory is stable). You can stop from "Test -> Stop" menu. When you start the torture test, open Speedfan and go to "Charts" tab. Under the black area there is a pull down "Analyze" menu, choose "temperatures" if it is not already there. Then click all of temperature values one by one. The temperature plot that jumps up with the start of Prime95 torture test is your CPU temperature. It may be off as you indicated in your message. What we are looking is the amount of temperature jump when the torture test starts, this is the number of degrees your CPU heats up under load. The temperature difference before and during the Prime95 test should be no more than 15-17 degrees. If it is more than this, like 20-25, you have a CPU heating problem. We can discuss the rest after you tell if the CPU is heating up too much or not.

See you
  • edited July 2006
    Unplug the computer for a while and let it cool down and you should be able to restart after that. Please try memtest and if it can run for about an hour, RAM problem is elimintated. In this case your computer urgently needs a CPU cooler maintenance and it is not safe to use any longer. If you think that you can do it yourself let me know, I can try to help. Otherwise you can take it to a maintenance service.
  • edited July 2006

I think I would also be installing some more ram. XP will run a lot better if you add another gig of ram. Also some 6200's are set up to use system ram to supplement onboard ram. You don't have any to spare. If your temp readings are anywhere near accurate make sure the fan on your cpu cooler is working.

Bill
  • edited July 2006
    Thankyou all for your help,

I used drivercleaner and reinstalled the default nvidia drivers.. and also wiped the counterstrike and half-life config's.... lowed the cpu setting to run at 1.1ghz although it is actually a 1.5ghz cpu - the motherboard has issues with the cpu it seems - games run fine now, better actually - cs does get that perfomence spike but it is quite un-noticable - i have narrowed it dow it is deffinetly a RAM and over-heating CPU issue! but all is stable now.

I am ordering more ram and a better + compatible CPU

I am quite p*ssed off with my local computer shop - they are the ones who chose and fitted the motherboard.

500w PCU is efficient tho, right?

I also have a hot-hair extractor installed directly underneith the graphics card.
  • edited July 2006
    spiraltek wrote:
    Thankyou all for your help,

I used drivercleaner and reinstalled the default nvidia drivers.. and also wiped the counterstrike and half-life config's.... lowed the cpu setting to run at 1.1ghz although it is actually a 1.5ghz cpu - the motherboard has issues with the cpu it seems - games run fine now, better actually - cs does get that perfomence spike but it is quite un-noticable - i have narrowed it dow it is deffinetly a RAM and over-heating CPU issue! but all is stable now.

I am ordering more ram and a better + compatible CPU

I am quite p*ssed off with my local computer shop - they are the ones who chose and fitted the motherboard.

500w PCU is efficient tho, right?

I also have a hot-hair extractor installed directly underneith the graphics card.

Your computer crashed completely while running Prime95. IMHO, this indicates CPU instability not incompatibility with your MB. RAM problem usually causes Prime95 to stop the calculation not a complete system crash. I would recommend you to go to another computer shop and have your CPU cooler installed properly and voltage settings checked. It is not that hard, you can also do it by yourself. You can post your questions here if you decide to do by yourself.

Yeah, 500W PSU is plenty for your configuration and more RAM would help you. I would upgrade to 1GB RAM.