Strange problem

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I am using a wireless Linksys router to run my 3 computers. The computer with a problem is a Compaq Presario which is hard wired to the router while the other 2 computers are wireless. Intermittingly the Presario has a wrong IP address and can't get online. Sometimes I can use Outlook Express but not get online. Othertimes MSN messenger can connected but I can't get online. When I bypass the router and conect the Presario directly to my DSL modem I experience the same problem. When I hard wire my other computer to the modem it works fine. Sometimes if the Presario is on one or both of my other computers have similar problems. When I turn off my Presario the other 2 computers work fine. My DSL company came over to my house and claim that since the other 2 computers work fine when wired directly to the modem that the modem is working fine and the trouble must be in the computer itself. I happened to have an extra modem (same brand and model) and when I swapped them I still have the same problem. I actually believe too that the problem lies in the Presario but have no idea what it is. Does anyone have any ideas?????

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Are you on XP, if so do this, goto network connections, right click on the device that is being used to network, and then select properties.

Another window should come up, in the scroll area, look for "internet protocol, TCP/IP" Click that, and then click the properties button.

Tell me if it is set to obtain ip automatically, or if it is on the other option.
  • edited July 2006
    Hi,
    I'm using windows 2000. Although not XP I tried what you suggested and I have my computer set to "Obtain an IP address automatically"
    Thanks
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    hrm... It should work if they are all that way, I thought maybe there was a confilcting ip address, but I guess not.