dvi problem

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I got a new LCD screen recently but the dvi cable doesnt seem to work. I am currently using an analog cable with a dvi adapter that came wiht my 7800gt. I heard dvi makes a fair amount difference so if I could I would like to use it. Is this a problem with the cable or am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    AS far as I know---
    You need to get a DVI cable.
    Using an analog cable with a dvi adapter will only get you analog video.
    The adapter just lets you use the analog cable.
    An analog cable won't carry Digital Video Input.
    I've only been using DVI a short time, so if any other members can confirm this I'd apprecite it.
    So, Don't run out and buy a DVI cable until our other members give you some input on this.
  • edited July 2006
    ..?
    Maybe you misunderstood me. The DVI cable that came WITH the lcd screen, when plugged in doesnt work. Which is why I had to use the adapter.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    This DVI cable you have, is it hardwired into the monitor or is it a separate wire you can actually take off the monitor?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    What color is the connector, white or blue?
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    alch wrote:
    ..?
    Maybe you misunderstood me. The DVI cable that came WITH the lcd screen, when plugged in doesnt work. Which is why I had to use the adapter.
    Sorry, I did misunderstand you.
    And I see that the card you have (7800gt) has dual dvi plugs on the back of the card.
    Have you tried the dvi cable on each plug? (Only change it over when pc is off and power is cut off to the motherboard.) You could easily short something out.
    From here, I'll let the Geforce guys handle it for you.
    I'm sure they can get you fixed up.
    I run all ATI cards.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2006
    There should be a video switch on your monitor (mines a button that has a picture of a arrow in a box)
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    GrayFox wrote:
    There should be a video switch on your monitor (mines a button that has a picture of a arrow in a box)
    Duh, It's setting right in front of me, and didn't even come to mind until you said something... Hehehe
    Mine has the front buttons & little numbers that light up telling me which plug is active. Hit the button and it changes to 1-2-3 or 4.
    My dvi is #2.