Recently obtained Compaq P1100 21"

edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hi all. I stumbled across the thread about the brightness issue with monitors and have found it to be a useful resource. I have the same issue(s) with my P1100, too bright, and I have diagonal white lines on the screen.

However, I opened the monitor up last night, expecting to find the "screen" adjustment screw on the flyback transformer. What I found was two plastic adjustment screws, one marked "1" and second marked "2" with "FOCUS" written in between the two. Both only adjusted the focus on the monitor.

Am I missing something? Should there be an adjustment for brightness/screen somewhere? Am I best to take it into a TV repair guy?

TIA

Tim

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Read the whole thread about the brightness issue. It will answer your question.
  • edited July 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Read the whole thread about the brightness issue. It will answer your question.

Thank you. But do you mean either using the DAS software or the resistor method? I was leaning towards simply adjusting what is already there within. Unless there is some pots on one of the boards that I just didn't see.

Do you suggest that I use the resistor method first and foremost?

Tim

Found one I didn't see, this answers for the P1100 specifically.
    I just stumbled on this thread via a google search. I bought an overly bright Dell P1100 from a guy for $15, figuring I could just adjust the internal brightness pot (I have experience with adjusting monitors having done it for a few months for the Navy). When I opened it up I was really suprised that there were NO pots to adjust it. After reading this thread I opened it up and soldered a 10Mohm resistor is parallel (forming effectively a 5Mohm resistor). PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank you whoever thought up this solution!

BTW, for this particular monitor the visible raster is completely extinguished (i.e. black background in non-techy speech) at a brightness of 5. I have my contrast set to 75.

So I shall try the resistor method!

Tim
  • edited July 2006
    Hi guys,
    Wow, hard to find just a single 5.6 Mohm resistor. Contacted one company, and they had a minimum $40 order required. (just to get a $3.00 part, ugh)

Tim
  • edited July 2006
    Try jameco.com
  • edited July 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Try jameco.com
    Thanks! Will check them out. Allied Electronics (who I had contacted) pointed out Wesco, Westburn, or Nedco. As long as one of them doesn't require minimum order, I shall order one today. Can't wait to fix this monitor. :D

Tim