Core duo

KometeKomete Member
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hi all, I've seen a lot of Core duo reviews and they look great but I'm rather surprised no one has a review including some overclocking results. I was wondering if there was any reasons? Are they getting locked motherboards etc?

Comments

• Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2006
    I'm assuming you're referring to the Core 2 Duo (Conroe), not the Core Duo (Yonah)

TechReport Core 2 Extreme X6800 Ocing pg17

XbitLabs Core 2 Duo E6300 OCing pg8
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited July 2006
    Omega65 wrote:
    I'm assuming you're referring to the Core 2 Duo (Conroe), not the Core Duo (Yonah)

TechReport Core 2 Extreme X6800 Ocing pg17

XbitLabs Core 2 Duo E6300 OCing pg8

Thanks for the links. I don't know why I havn't came across these. I was interested in the Core 2 Duo E6300 because I'm cheap and that sounds like a hell of a chip. Looks to me they need work on thier motherboards before the potential of that chip is realized. Even at 2.9ghz oced it's still one heck of a chip.
  • edited July 2006
    If you aren't planning to build a new machine until after the new year, Intel will be coming out with a real gem as far as price/performance/overclocking is concerned. They are supposed to introduce an E4300, which will only have 2MB shared L2 cache but will be running at 1800 MHz on a 200 fsb, all for a guesstimated price of around $160 or so. The higher multi that running on a 200 fsb gives will leave lots of overclocking headroom for the motherboard to ramp it up with. The 9 multi gives a realistic expectation of achieving 3.6 GHz fairly easily (assuming your proc will overclock to that speed) without running into the fsb limitations of most of the present Conroe capable mobos on the market right now. It seems like a lot of the mobos that are Conroe capable seem to be having problems with fsb speeds much over 450 fsb.

BTW, by the time these roll out, I'm hoping that there will be some more affordable, overclocking-friendly Conroe boards on the market. Present offerings are pretty darn pricey with the cheapest I've seen being close to $200.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited July 2006
    Yep Muddocter that is sounding like a winner. Let the mobos mature a little and see what people will be getting out of these chips. I've been faithfull to AMD for 7 years so maybe one slip won't be the end of the world.