Computer will not boot

edited July 2006 in Hardware
So here is the story.

I was just sitting around playing WoW and all of a sudden my comp. just shuts down. I open it up and smell something burning. I first, pull out the video card (XFX 7800GTX 512MB) and unfortunatly I notice a small burn on a chip on the bottom of the video card. So, 3 days later I get my new video card, thinking that all will be well once I have it installed. I was wrong. It is the same problem I was having.. I turn on the computer and it makes 1 long beep followed by 2 fast beeps and my mobo has a feature that when I plug in speakers to the onboard soundcard, it says what is going on with the mobo (problems,etc.). I recieve the message "System Failed Memory Test" and I assume it is either a RAM problem or a mobo problem.

So my questions are.. anything like this ever happen to anyone? what could cause it? and is it probably the ram or mobo?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    CoRP5e wrote:
    ...So my questions are.. anything like this ever happen to anyone?
    Most of the people here probably have a horror story like that of their own. :(
    ...what could cause it?
    It could have been a manufacturing defect in one of the parts, a problem with the Power Supply Unit or an electrical surge from the mains, overheating of a component, or something as simple as having the card wiggle its way slightly out of its slot and cause arcing between the board and the MB.
    ...and is it probably the ram or mobo?
    If I had to guess I would probably pick MB, but it could be either (or both :hair: ). Can you try the RAM in a different computer? I'd give it a pass of Memtest-86 if it will run there. You could also see if a BIOS reset gets you anywhere. I would even go as far as to disconnect everything except the CPU + HSF, RAM, and Video Card, then see if anything changes.

Good luck. :)
  • edited July 2006
    CoRP5e wrote:
    ...it makes 1 long beep followed by 2 fast beeps and my mobo has a feature that when I plug in speakers to the onboard soundcard, it says what is going on with the mobo (problems,etc.). I recieve the message "System Failed Memory Test" and I assume it is either a RAM problem or a mobo problem...

I used to have a packard bell pc about 10 years ago and I ran into the 1 long beep, 2 short beeps. I was told this is a video card problem. Nothing would come up on the screen when it did this. The video was imbedded into the Motherboard, which was replaced about 3 times with the same problem every time.

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/awardB12-c.html