sm30 making the connection

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Folding@Home
Ok ...I'm trying to setup sm30 to have a permanent (or so) connection.
I have a cable modem that can be used with cat cable and/or usb. Since I've found my old usb cable I now have it connected to sm30 along with drivers and I'm getting a perfect connection.

So my questions are:

How do I make a remote connection from my main rig so that I don't have to disconnect shutdown reboot etc everytime (analog to digital monitor connections are a biotch to switch)?

Will both systems be able to be connected thru the modem at the same time (IP conflict)?

Is there a better way of doing this with what I already have?

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2006
    Depending on the modem it may work or not. A router is highly recomended over using both usb and ethernet because it is far less problemmatic. If you are intrested in a router the WRT54GL is a great choice, However if your fealing cheep tomshardware recently had a cheep router roundup. Where the Airlink101 came out as the best router for under $25.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Cost isn't really an issue but at the moment expense is. I have major expenses for the next 2 weeks so I'm holding on to every last dime that I can.

I may consider a router in the next month or so ...just depends on where I stand after my situation.
    edited July 2006
    I like the linksys wireless ...which means I would need a wireless nic. They're cheap anyway usually.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    How far away from your main rig is SM30 located? If it's in the same room I would eschew wireless and get a cheap router and a cheap Cat5 cable. Alternatively, you could add a second NIC to your main machine, get a crossover cable, then do the ICS stuff. If your main rig already has two NICs (many do these days) you could do that for the price of the cable alone.

On the other hand, if you anticipate ever wanting to move the rig to a distant part of the house (or add another rig for your son, etc), you might want to go ahead and get a wireless router.
    edited July 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    How far away from your main rig is SM30 located?

less than 6'! LOL
    edited July 2006
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Looks like a winner to me. At $9.99 after the rebate it's as cheap as a second NIC would be. :D
    edited July 2006
    And the reviews are as good as any!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2006
    csimon wrote:
    I like the linksys wireless ...which means I would need a wireless nic. They're cheap anyway usually.

Its wireless and wired.