My computer isn't getting new work units!

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Folding@Home
My main home computer hasn't had a new work unit in 4-5 days. It says it's attempting to get a new work packet. I've shut it down and restarted F@H several times, but still the same thing.

The last Tinker it finished took a day or 2 to send.

I'm running the graphical version on Windows XP Home.

After a full day, on the display where it says Waiting For Core, large WU startup, the number is only at 11.

A while back I was reading here and added some special command to get only Tinkers. Ever since that it's been fine, running on Tinkers only. I'd hate to uninstall F@H and reinstall it, since the finished work unit count on this computer is at 315.

I just read some other posts here, and went into my graphical versions' configure menu, and changed it from "Deadlineless" to "No Preference".

We'll see if that helps.

Comments

• edited July 2006
    I think you applied the correct remedy, it was the same problem for me yesterday night. I did the same and all of my processors are full again.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yes, I changed that setting, then shut down and restarted F@H, and within a minute or 2 I had an Amber WU going.:celebrate
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yes, basically all of the timeless tinkers ran out - the official explanation is that they were only intended for slow PCs below 500MHz, and only a small fraction of the project's science can be done with tinkers. When a whole bunch of people with really fast AMDs began to crunch timeless tinkers, all of the available WUs were completed, and there are currently no tinkers left to crunch at all.

Switching away from doing just timeless units is beneficial to the project, because the gromacs/amber WUs are more involved in the science of a cure.