BSOD at XP Home splash screen

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys, I'm having some major issues with a friend's laptop :-/
We were messing around with making partitions since he wanted to try installing vista, but for some reason vista would not install.
So then he decided to get rid of the seperate partitions and just make it one partition again.
He did that successfully, but when he restarted he ran into some problems.
First it gives him the screen (I forget the name of it) where you can choose how to boot windows (safe mode, etc)
Any option he selects goes fine, but he only gets to see the splash screen (for xp home) for a spilt second before he gets a BSOD.
I'm going to try fixboot and fix mbr when I get home, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should try. :-/
btw..will a xp pro cd work when trying to repair xp home? I'm guessing it will.

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Hey guys, I'm having some major issues with a friend's laptop :-/
    We were messing around with making partitions since he wanted to try installing vista, but for some reason vista would not install.
    So then he decided to get rid of the seperate partitions and just make it one partition again.
    He did that successfully, but when he restarted he ran into some problems.
    First it gives him the screen (I forget the name of it) where you can choose how to boot windows (safe mode, etc)
    Any option he selects goes fine, but he only gets to see the splash screen (for xp home) for a spilt second before he gets a BSOD.
    I'm going to try fixboot and fix mbr when I get home, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should try. :-/
    btw..will a xp pro cd work when trying to repair xp home? I'm guessing it will.

Try to boot again and write down if the BSOD message is complaining about missing or corrupt files. Then, you can try booting with a BartPE CD and see if the filesystem is damaged and restore the missing/damaged files if there is any. IMHO, the file allocation table has been damaged while resizing your partitions multiple times. Since you are getting the boot options screen, I don't think the boot sector is damaged.
  • edited July 2006
    How do you get Bart PE setup? It keeps giving me errors when I click build, saying files not found.
  • edited July 2006
    skankinred wrote:
    How do you get Bart PE setup? It keeps giving me errors when I click build, saying files not found.

The following is from BartPE FAQ at their website. I think this explains.

I cannot build, PE Builder does not accept the path to "c:\windows" as the source.
    PE Builder needs the Windows XP installation files or CD for building. The files in your c:\windows directory are already installed and you are probably running Windows from this location. This location is not where you install windows from.
    Imagine this: you have just replaced the harddrive from your computer with a new one. This new harddrive is empty, your computer does not boot. To install Windows XP, you need to boot from the Windows installation CD and complete the setup. This same CD must be used with PE Builder.
    More info: Searching Windows installation files (PE Builder help)
  • edited July 2006
    I used the I386 directory not windows. And it won't let you use the windows directroy if you tried.
  • edited July 2006
    There could be two reasons that I can imagine.
    - I386 holds most of the setup files, but it is not the complete installation CD. BartPE could be searching other files. Try using the CD, I hope you have it.
    - I think I saw once in their FAQ that BartPE also needs SP2, you can check their FAQ for this and make sure your setup files are with SP2.

Hope these help.
  • edited July 2006
    Thanks. Can you help me in my other thread? Do you know of any programs that i boot off cd and copy data from my HD to a usb HD?
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited July 2006
    mirage wrote:
    The following is from BartPE FAQ at their website. I think this explains.

I cannot build, PE Builder does not accept the path to "c:\windows" as the source.
    PE Builder needs the Windows XP installation files or CD for building. The files in your c:\windows directory are already installed and you are probably running Windows from this location. This location is not where you install windows from.
    Imagine this: you have just replaced the harddrive from your computer with a new one. This new harddrive is empty, your computer does not boot. To install Windows XP, you need to boot from the Windows installation CD and complete the setup. This same CD must be used with PE Builder.
    More info: Searching Windows installation files (PE Builder help)

So what do I have to do?
    It sounds like I have to put the windows cd into a cdrom, put a blank cd into a cd burner, and then hit build. Is that right? o.O
    My boss used Bartpe at work, but I never got the chance to check it out :(
  • edited July 2006
    So what do I have to do?
    It sounds like I have to put the windows cd into a cdrom, put a blank cd into a cd burner, and then hit build. Is that right? o.O
    My boss used Bartpe at work, but I never got the chance to check it out :(

Yes, that is all. You can also add some utilities in your BartPE disk from your harddisk, such as CPUZ and similar. Don't worry it is easy if you have the Windows installation CD.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited July 2006
    My friend just said screw it, and we reformatted, haha.
    But thanks for the advice, and now I have bartpe to mess with :thumbsup:

<3 short media :respect: