lost windows xp firewall settings

PsycoKillrPsycoKillr Mason City, Iowa
edited July 2006 in Hardware
uh oh. i've lost my windows xp firewall settings :wow2: does anyone have any ideas how i can get them back seeing as how when i moved last month i've misplaced my boot cd. :confused2

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Is the Security Center available in Control Panel? Are the Security Center and Windows Firewall services enabled? I'd start with those things. :)
  • PsycoKillrPsycoKillr Mason City, Iowa
    edited July 2006
    i think i found the problem.

SYMPTOMS
    After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) on a client computer, you may experience the following symptoms when you log on to the network: • Windows Firewall is disabled. You cannot use the Windows Firewall tool in Control Panel to turn on Windows Firewall or to configure Windows Firewall settings on the Windows XP SP2 client computer. When you try to configure Windows Firewall settings, some options are appear dimmed, and you may receive the following message:
    For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy.
    You experience this symptom even if you previously clicked On (recommended) in the Windows Firewall dialog box to turn on Windows Firewall.
    • You cannot use the Security Center item in Control Panel on the Windows XP SP2 client computer to manage security settings.
    Note These symptoms occur if either of the following conditions is true:• You install Windows XP SP2 on a client computer that is located in a Microsoft Windows Small Business Server (SBS) 2003-based network.
    • You have joined a client computer that is running Windows XP SP2 to a Windows SBS 2003-based network
    :banghead:
    edited July 2006
    i'm not running a network though.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    What did you find with these?
    profdlp wrote:
    Is the Security Center available in Control Panel? Are the Security Center and Windows Firewall services enabled? I'd start with those things. :)
    edited July 2006
    nothing. absolutlty nada.
    edited July 2006
    Well I figured out what was wrong with my firewall. Appearently the xp sp2 was at fault so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, now it works fine. so if anyone else is having the same problem just do what I did and you'll be good to go.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.