Support ending for SP1?! I'm in trouble!

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited August 2006 in Science & Tech
I just saw a little star in my sys tray and I hovered over it to find it says Windows SP1 support is ending October 10, 2006. I remember a while back I tried and tried and tried to get SP2 installed, but my computer would never boot with it installed. I never had a problem with it with my old Chaintech mobo, but when I installed the new DFI mobo and 3200+ proccy, SP2 would never boot. So... has it been fixed? Is there updates for it that will make it work now? If I do install it and it doesnt boot up again... I'm in trouble with all the info on my hard drive! I could back it all up (do somewhat regularly) but it wouldn't be worth losing everything just to find out it doesn't work. So what should I do??

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2006
    Wow no replies
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2006
    You need to slipstream service pack 2 on a cd.
    edited August 2006
    Okay does this tutorial look okay? And is there a big risk of losing data on my hard drive or a risk of having it never boot again?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    That tutorial is just fine. Planning on running a repair install? I advise not. Just reformat, sir. :\
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    That tutorial is just fine. Planning on running a repair install? I advise not. Just reformat, sir. :\
    Thanks.

Okay... I guess I'll do it someday (I keep saying that)
    edited August 2006
    Can I use an OEM (not Dell or one from a company) XP Home CD? Its one I bought for $90 a year or two ago.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Um, yeah?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, installing a slipstreamed version may be your best bet, but as mentioned.. definitely format and start fresh. I've used both the DFI NF3 250GB and NF4 DFI boards, and never had an issue with SP2--pretty odd.

If you wanted to give something a try before you reformat, uninstall all of your chipset, and graphics drivers, including all nvidia related drivers and try again. I find it's best to install service packs prior to installing lots of 3rd party drivers and software.