Computer crashes when playing games

PieIsAwesomePieIsAwesome Ontario, CA
edited July 2006 in Hardware
And I don't mean just a crash to the desktop...the computer either restarts or leaves me with a black screen with the computer still running. I have to hit the reset button, or shut it down and start it up again if the restart button doesn't do it. There sometimes seems to be some sort of time after the crash that I have to wait before it will want to start up again, about a few seconds, which leads me to believing the CPU is overheating, but I'm not sure.

The specs are:
Athlon XP 2800+ Thoroughbred with 333 mhz FSB
Nvidia nForce 2 motherboard
2x 256 Kingston PC 2700 hyperX RAM (with heatsinks)
Geforce 4 ti 4800 (with new heatsink and fans that I installed a pretty long time ago).
420 Watt power supply
2 case fans in a large full ATX tower

The problem occurs with all games (including a simpler 2D game like Maplestory for those who are familiar with it), but it dies faster with some games than others. For example, Maplestory can go on for a while without dying. Unreal Tournament 2004 crashes sooner, and Counterstrike Source even sooner.

I'm suspicious of the CPU temp, but I'd like to be sure. It idly runs at around 55-59 degrees celcius.

I had Asus Probe temperature and voltage monitor record the temperature while plaing UT2004. Before it died, the history showed the temperature on the graph rise evenly (perfect slope) until reaching 68 degrees celcius, where it stops, likely indicating where the computer crashed.

So next, I reduced the speed of the CPU through the FSB from 333 mhz to 200 mhz. The computer hasn't crashed since. That was yesterday though.

This seems to confirm a CPU overheating problem, but could it be possible that in reducing the FSB, the RAM also runs cooler? I mentioned that they have heatsinks, and run at normal speed and timings, could the RAM also be the culprit?

Also, when I touch the power supply, it's pretty hot. Could that also be an issue?

Next the videocard? In the case of videocard overheating, there should be graphical glitches, but I don't notice any, nor any real drop in performance before the crash. And again, the crash still occurs with a game that doesn't even make much use of the videcard. Another thing is that I installed a new fan/heatsink for the videocard about a year or even more ago, and it ran fine, with no issues until now.

Lastly, having this computer for about 4 years, could the CPU wear out, and be more sensitive to overheating? Because I had actually replaced the stock fan and heatsink with a newer one about a year and a half ago, and it seems odd that it wold just die. I checked the fan RPM in the bios, and it seems normal (or is bios RPM reading innacurate or unable to detect a fault with the fan?). I also checked the dust, and it didn't seem bad, but the last time I blew out the dust was months ago.

I just want to confirm my suspicions of the CPU overheating and know other possibilities before I run out and get a new fan and heatsink, and whether or not that will fix it and that the actualy CPU may need replacing...or soemthing else.

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Well, yes, that is a quite old computer, and this is a prime time to upgrade, but that is your decision, I would check your memory by running memtest, and also, check your power supply by trying a known working one, if both of those check out, then run prime95, and see if it will crash your computer, this will stress the processor.

It could be your video card as you say it only happens when you play video games, you might see how hot it is getting, and maybe replace the sinks on it, or look into getting another one.

Anyway, welcome to short media, we are glad to have you hear, hope you decide to stick around.
  • edited July 2006
    Your CPU is overheating. Fix that before you do anything else. Your idle temps would be on the high side even for full load, you're lucky you've not fried your CPU.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    oops, didnt read that far in the post, yeh, grab yourself some TIC, a razor, and some isopropyl alcohol, and get that processor cool again.
  • PieIsAwesomePieIsAwesome Ontario, CA
    edited July 2006
    Heh, I've upgraded about a year ago, that computer <i>is</i> quite old. XD
    But now definately is a great time to upgrade, I also bought a good Athlon 3500+ PC for about $370 after rebates about 2 weeks ago. Just needs a videocard and it'll be great.

But back on topic...then I guess I'll clean the CPU and get a new fan/heatsink to end the problem (or use new thermal compound?). At least the computer won't be as loud anymore, no more cheap cooler master fans.

And thanks for the welcome, I thought this was an interesting board when I found it, so here I am. XD

Thanks for the help guys.