Minimal number of machines for domain.

edited July 2006 in Science & Tech
A company's network I am rebuilding will have 3 client PCs (4 at most within the next 5 years). No file sharing is required (or needed) between the clients, and since there are only 2 employees and the business owner the network's need for local security is very, very low.

My question is, would this setup warrent an active directory domain? My gut feeling is "no", as a domain would only make things overly complicated.

But, since the previous setup had a domain (and it's a pretty decent machine as well) I'm wondering if I should use it anyways. Even though it will be doing absolutly nothing 99% of the time. The clients will log in and out of the network 5 times a day, and that's pretty much the bulk of its workload.

Thoughts?

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    sure smj, why not.

it will make your life alot easier, people will authenticate to the DC instead of creating local accounts.

also, you can mess around with GPO's and lock those pc's down.

creating roaming profiles will be kewl too, so if a pc goes down, a user can walk over to another pc , login as themselves and continue working (if the necessary apps are installed)

i say gofor it.