AM2 overclocking

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I am trying overclock my new AM2 system, but keep on having technical difficulties. Anytime that you change the FSB, however so slight, during POST it will fail to boot. I will reset and then it will boot just fine. Once into windows I ran prime95 for 12 hours perfectly stable with 220FSB, x11, DDR2 800, 4-4-3-12.

Specs:
M2N-E Asus mobo
2x512 Mushkin Extreme DDR2 800 4-4-3-12
AMD Athlon 64 AM2 3500+ Orleans
7900GT
Antec Truepower 550W
74GB Raptor WD HD

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    Checking on the Asus support forums, looks like other people are having the same problem. (along with memory compatability issues) I don't see a work around yet.

Sorry I can't help more.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    The big problem is that your cpu doesn't support DDR800 and the mobo manuf. doesn't have any proper bios for it yet.
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited July 2006
    TheLostSwede, how do you know that CPU doesn't support DDR800? What AM2 CPUs do support DDR800? I'm thinking about building a new system with this (Athlon 64 X2 3800+) CPU and some OCZ Gold DDR2 800, are they compatible?
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited July 2006
    According to ASUS the motherboard is made for DDR2800. According to AMD the processor is made for the AM2 socket, whichs runs on what? DDR2800.

If you know something that I do not please let me know. It just seems kind of strange that the specs according to ASUS say it runs DDR2800.

Radio91P
    edited August 2006
    On Socket AM2, Singlecores only supports DDR667 while Dualcores supports DDR800. AMD have incredible little information on their website though.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    Radio91p, here's a link to the Asus forum.M2N-E
    It loads very slow, but some good info.

In my opinion, it's the ASUS immature bios syndrome. You could E-mail tech support if you have further issues. They are very helpful. I currently own 3 Asus boards, (all older) and all 3 had issues when they were first released.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    On Socket AM2, Singlecores only supports DDR667 while Dualcores supports DDR800. AMD have incredible little information on their website though.

Is this a imposed limit of some kind Mac?--or just a 'suggested' lower default memory clock speed? I only ever got to play with an AM2 X2 so I'm not sure how the single cores behave.
    edited August 2006
    As far as i have seen, this is the max divider to use. Use a lower divider if you want to clock the ram.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited August 2006
    Well, I just fixed the problem. Just bought an AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 from egg for about 40 bucks more than I paid for the 3500+. Anyhow, thanks for the help guys.

Radio91P:Rocker:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Radio91P wrote:
    Well, I just fixed the problem. Just bought an AMD Athlon 3800+ X2 from egg for about 40 bucks more than I paid for the 3500+. Anyhow, thanks for the help guys.

Radio91P:Rocker:

Cool stuff, gotta love the recent price drops! :) Let us know how things go once you start clocking it up!