PSU problem?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
My secondary PSU probably killed out just 3 minutes before typing this up.

My computer just turned off while posting a thread, and now it won't turn on :P

My primary PSU died just a couple weeks ago, this one is just as old, like 4 or 5 years maybe, 550W each, different manufacturers.

If it is the PSU, I would like to go ahead and replace it with a really good one, PSU's are an investment to me... and I'd like one that would last me quite a while. But not too costly either.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    i love my modstrwam 520W, it will last for a while...BUT it has no SLI support..but now thermaltake makes SLI auxillary PSU's for not too much...its up to you though. If you want something that will last a while (year or plus) and not upgrade etc and have to worry about it...the OCZ gamestream 700W is fully capable of supporting dual ATI x1900's...
    I went for the mostream cuz I'm gonna upgrade in a year or so and i needed something to tie me down until then (100 bucks at newegg and a 20 buck rebate..so it turns out to be 80 bucks +7 shipping...pretty sweet for a PSU in my opinion) but are you sure ur problem is PSU related. Perhaps you should use one of ur friends PSU in your comp to see if it works...cuz two PSU's failing seems iffy (even though it happened to me) but i think before you buy anything, check with the problem out with a good PSU and make sure its the PSU (it sucks to throw away money)
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    There are many factors to consider in buying a PSU these days. You need to not only consider power but make sure you ave at least 26A on the 12V rail(s). You need to make sure it has little to no fluctuation on the output voltages and this area is where I now eliminate Antec from my recomendations as they don't hold the rails as well as they used to. Another area to be conscious of is efficiency. Most of the new high quality units are at least 80% with 85% becoming quite common for top of the line. With all these factors I am now including quiet in my must haves since I feel a quality PSU should be quiet. I currently own a PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI-PFC ATX12V 510W but would not recomend one as it is noisy and the efficiency could be better. I don't know if the newer units are better but suspect that they will revise this model some time as their newer units are quieter and more efficient. The rails however are superb! I recently got a SILVERSTONE SST-ST56F ATX12V/ EPS12V 560W for a new rig I just built and it is sooooo quiet, holds the rails great and is very efficient. They make a ST56ZF ATX12V/ EPS12V 560Watts model that is not as good and is an older unit that I will not recomend! Right now I will recomend FSP, OCZ, Seasonic and Silverstone as PSU makers to buy.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    My current PSU has 30A on the 12V Rail, but I think it's only a single rail.

Anyways... I decided to try turning on my computer today. It turned on. WTF?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    It is possible that your PSU has a heat issue. Or maybe your system has a wire with worn insulation and the PSU is fine. In the later case the PSU is doing a good job of protectng your system. I would check out the entire system component by component ti find the cause.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I doubt it's heat related... but something did some to mind... this PSU is like 5 years old.... it's a crazy nice PSU, but I think I need to take it apart and blow off all the dust becuase the dust crazy in that thing..... 100% pure unadulturated crazyness.

Besides that I had just recently did a complete look through on this system... besides the PSU it's 'like new' right now. Got lazy on the PSU though:range:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2006
    I'd do the dust thing also...