Windows XP Pro Domain to Workgroup

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I have a company laptop that runs WinXP Pro on a domain. It required the Ctrl-Alt-Del key combo to start, then a logon screen that listed a User name, Password, and a Domain name. I wanted to run this computer on my home network because I wanted to transfer my personal files and info. to my desktop before I leave this employer. Now I can't even get into it. I right clicked my computer, sel. properties, sel. computer name tab, then network ID, then I selected the first option(This comp. is part of a business network, and I use it to connect to other computers at work). Then I was instructed to select (My company uses a network without a domain) Then I entered my workgroup name. After that step, I was instructed to give my laptop a new name. After doing this and rebooting, My logon screen no longer shows a domain name, and it does not accept my password. Is there any way I can get back into Windows to restore those settings and recover my files.
Help!!!
PS: I do have a legit copy of WinXP Pro

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    You can't rejoin it to the domain until you are back & connected to the company network Im afraid.. one of your Windows admins will have to do that work as well :(

Normally, Id suggest just resetting the local administrator account password but as this is a work laptop, Id suggest against doing that. IT staff don't take kindly to people resetting & changing local accounts on machines.

Your files under your domain level account are safe as long as the machine is rejoined to the domain. Your "profile" is tagged and identified by a SID, which is your domain level security identifier, rejoining the machine to the domain will just let you use that account again :)

Sorry I can't be more help but there is almost nothing you can do.