Can't Format the Hard Drive

edited July 2006 in Hardware
i want to reformat my hard drive but when i use the windows xp cd to format the hard drive it doesnt find my hard drive(at the blue screen) how the heck can i make him to "see" my hard drive?

Comments

• Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited July 2006
    If you have a sata or scsi hard drive, you will need to press f6 at the beginning of the install when it is loading all the files for install (you should see a line of text in the bottom of the screen saying this). If you don't have a pre-existing disk with the drivers on it I'm sure you will be able to go to the manufacturers website and download the drivers need and then format a 1.44mb disk. Insert disk when asked for it. It's tricky when to push f6 (if this your problem) during the install just keep your eyes open and when it asks if you need to load 3rd party hard drive driver hit f6 fast as if you are too late you will have to restart the process again (reboot).
  • edited July 2006
    i searched all day and didnt found good drivers:( can anyone help me plz? i have a wdc wd1600js sata...i dont know more about the hard drive
    edited July 2006
    Tell us what kind of motherboard you have. Open up that case if you have to!
  • edited July 2006
    i have a p5vd1 mother board...is that name ok?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2006
    i searched all day and didnt found good drivers:( can anyone help me plz? i have a wdc wd1600js sata...i dont know more about the hard drive
    You need the sata drivers for your MOTHERBOARD not harddrive. Check the manufacturers website and download the latest drivers.

edit: Also make sure if your board doesnt support sata 3g you have the jumper on 150 mode (Its located on the harddrive).
  • edited July 2006
    i have an asus motherboard so i need to searv in asus website?
    what is 3g? what does that mean?i have a new mother board if that matters
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2006
    Yes, they have a driver section of there website I think it is under support.
    edited July 2006
    ftp://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5VD1-X/Chipset.zip
    here's the direct download for your driver it is for the P5VD1-X which I believe is your mobo. You will still need to make a floppy disk with the sata drivers. By the way this dl is a 2 parter. It comes with the sata control drivers as well as via 4in1 drivers hope this helps.

This is the ASUS site i found them on.
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5VD1-X
  • edited July 2006
    it works!!!thank u very much:):vimp:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Good job, GrayFox and Bad_Karma. :thumbsup:

Glad you got it going, bar_the_gever. :cheers: