"Confidential" & "Review" CPU's

SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
edited October 2003 in Hardware
Anyone ever had a chance to play with a review CPU or pre-production CPU before and could shed a little light on what they found?

Any stability issues? How about overclocking issues?

The reason I ask is that I've got a line on an Intel Pentium 4 3.2 HT Confidential CPU that is multiplier UNLOCKED, and if its stable, I'll definately take it!

Can you say DDR533 running @ 1:1 FSB :)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    HardOCP and Anandtech have repeatedly said they use them for pre-retail launch CPU reviews. Especially the Intel CPUs.

H and Anand have never reported stability problems, and overclocking is ALWAYS dependent on the stepping. So, you won't know overclocking until you get there.
  • edited October 2003
    Another source for procs that you can lower the multi on is from the major oem's if you have any contacts with them. Intel will send the procs with the lower multi's unlocked on a top line cpu so that they can start validating their systems at not only the highest clock speed but also at the lower clocked procs speed too. Intel can send 3.2's to dell with the lower multi's unlocked so they can validate the 3.2 plus at the lower rated speeds that proc will be released at too.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited October 2003
    It is a production cpu, it is most likely a first unit from the production process, usually after a die retool. Those processors dont leave the fab till they went through a heavy round in QA. Having worked with Intel and AMD QA in the past, nothing goes in or out with out being beaten on for months..

Gobbles