PC Boot Failure

edited August 2006 in Hardware
I just built my new pc. The first time that I booted the PC, it booted and made it to bios, but I forgot to but the windows xp disk in the disk drive, so I turned placed the disk in the drive and restarted my computer. The computer did not POST, and after a thorough inspection, I did not see any evident, physical damage. But, upon removing the heatsink (scythe ninja), and thermal paste from the cpu, I noticed 2 small black marks on the edge of the chip. I also noticed that the back of the cpu might have been missing a few pins, but I'm not sure if they were meant to be absent. I am extremely desperate, as I only have a few weeks before I move into my new apartment for college.

I was also concerned with a small scratch that I made on the mobo with a flathead screwdriver when I was removing the heatsink.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Oh yah I forgot to supply my mobo and cpu information...

Opty 165
    Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe

I've read that resetting the bios can help, but could anyone tell me where the CMOS battery is?

I've only found the CMOS jumper. It's two pin and it's on a three pin connector that says CLRTC. There is a diagram on the mobo sticker that states that the jumper is supposed to have a 1 pin jumper...I'm confused.

I have another question. How do you reset the bios?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Most CMOS batteries these days look like a big round silver watch battery. They are about the same diamater as a nickel.

To clear the BIOS, unplug the computer from the wall, remove the CMOS battery, then move the reset jumper from "normal" to "clear" and leave it like that for about ten minutes.

The jumper should currently be covering two pins with a third pin next to it. Move it from the center pin and the pin it is covering now to the center pin and the other one to clear it. Move it back once you're done to return it to the normal state. :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    unplug it first, then clear the bios.
    Then try to re-boot.
  • edited August 2006
    Thanks for the help guys, as it is appreciated. I had to go into town today anyway, so I took everything out of the tower and took the heatsink off the mobo and took them to a computer store (CPU). After an hour and a half of testing, the techs determined that the cpu was fine, but the motherboard was crap. Hopefully ASUS replaces the mobo :buck: