My Screen goes black when gaming

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hi. When playing my online game (world of warcraft), my screens turns black and freezes. I will then alt-tab to get out of the game and into the desktop screen. after doing this I will go back in the game and it will run fine until the next time it happens. I have noticed that the fan (not for the processor, but is on a heat sink) is making scratching noise. after hearing that noise I opened the PC and saw that the fan is not spinning as fast.

I have an AMD athlon 1.1g 512RAM. Soyo Dragon kt333 motherboard and ATI 800XT Graphic card. I have recently installed a new Antec powersupply.

I have removed the fan and then installed. and it is still making noise.

anyone know how to solve this? should i buy a new fan?

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    can you give me temps?

download Motherboard Monitor, and it should give you some temps, let it idle, and write them down, and then put it under a heavy load and write them down.
  • edited July 2006
    can you give me temps?

download Motherboard Monitor, and it should give you some temps, let it idle, and write them down, and then put it under a heavy load and write them down.
    I have downloaded "SpeedFan" program that is suppose to tell you the temp. I do not know how to read it in detail but these are the resultes:\
    idle gaming
    temp1 36c 37c
    temp2 27c 27c
    temp3 37c 48c
    temp4 11c 11c
    HD 45c 47c

I think "HD" is harddrive. not too sure what the temps are for.... it seems my processor is temp3 ( but not too sure).

I will check the temp next time my screen goes black. any advice is greatly appricated!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I would reckon that Temp 1 is the case and Temp 3 is the CPU as you indicated. That ol' 1.1GHz CPU is a Thunderbird, and I know from personal experience that those puppies can still chug right along at 70*C without even flinching.

It's probably not temperature, but it's something to look at. Do you have an upright house fan you can place next to your PC for a while? Just open the side of your case and let the fan blow into it and see if it still black-screens.
  • edited July 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    I would reckon that Temp 1 is the case and Temp 3 is the CPU as you indicated. That ol' 1.1GHz CPU is a Thunderbird, and I know from personal experience that those puppies can still chug right along at 70*C without even flinching.

It's probably not temperature, but it's something to look at. Do you have an upright house fan you can place next to your PC for a while? Just open the side of your case and let the fan blow into it and see if it still black-screens.

I also do not think its a temperature poblem. However, i just want to eleminate it as the cause. I'm leaning more towards a video problem. I am not sure how to test the video. if anyone has any ideas on what may be causing this or any tests to cancel out a problem would be great.:confused:
  • edited August 2006
    OK. before I start a new thread I will continue with this one.
    My problem has escalated. my PC is now shutting off instead if tge black screen display. When my PC shut down last night I did not power it back on until today. the screen flashed an error message and I sent it to MS. It came back as stop order or something. my video driver told it to shut off or something. I am not sure because I did not take much notice as I did not know it would be an issue.

I believe the driver is up to date but not sure. any suggestions or should i just update the driver? /sigh
  • edited August 2006
    When playing my online game (world of warcraft), my screens turns black and freezes. I will then alt-tab to get out of the game and into the desktop screen. after doing this I will go back in the game and it will run fine until the next time it happens. I have noticed that the fan (not for the processor, but is on a heat sink) is making scratching noise. after hearing that noise I opened the PC and saw that the fan is not spinning as fast. I have opened the case and have a fan cooling it.

My problem has deterriated. My pc recently is shutting down (instead of he black screen) as if it lost power in a middle of a storm. It drains the power from the tv and lamp that are connected to the same surge protector outlit. Sometimes the light flash and dimss a few times in row and then shut down everything. This can be scarey at night.

I have an AMD athlon 1.1g 512RAM. Soyo Dragon kt333 motherboard and ATI Radeon 800XT Graphic card. I have recently installed a new Antec powersupply.

I have downloaded "SpeedFan" program that is suppose to tell you the temp. I do not know how to read it in detail but these are the resultes:
    idle gaming
    temp1 36c 37c
    temp2 27c 27c
    temp3 37c 48c
    temp4 11c 11c
    HD 45c 47c

I think temp3 is for my processor fan and the HD is for my harddrive but i am nt sure what the other temps are for.

I also noticed when rebooting after one of these 'blackouts" that an error has occured. I did not write it down but it was something like "the error ahs occured due to a stop order from a video driver" or something like that.

I had this a simular problem a few months ago but my powersupply unit got fried and that is why I bought a new Antex PS. here is the thread for that problem: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47068

any help, comments or suggestions are greatly appricated. I do not want to fr my PC.

Thanks in advance....