something wrong with cpu

yevyev
edited August 2006 in Hardware
well today i just noticed that my cpu speed on my desktop dropped. the speed was always 2.1 ghz but now its 1.3 :wacko: what could be causing this? thanks for the help :D

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Check that your FSB (Front Side Bus) hasn't changed. What brand and type are the CPU and the Motherboard? :)
  • yevyev
    edited July 2006
    mobo= FIC AU31 nForce 2
    CPU= Athlon XP 3000+

i think the fsb has changed since i got my mobo replaced last week, but is it possible to change t back? becuase the bois is idiot safe, and doesnt have those options.

PS: i kno my comp sucks its an emachine :'(
    edited July 2006
    Hunt around in the BIOS for anything pertaining to CPU speed. I'd bet that your FSB has gone from 333 to 200, explaining the drop.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    That motherboard has a jumper for FSB. Consult your manual as I can't find any manuals on their site.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    jumper jumper jumper
    like the old days.
  • yevyev
    edited August 2006
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    That motherboard has a jumper for FSB. Consult your manual as I can't find any manuals on their site.
    umm my comp didnt come with a mobo manual :/
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited August 2006
    Does your computer case look like this photo?

My search for a manual for the FIC AU31 turned up zilch. You might want to talk to eMachines support about setting your FSB to the proper frequency. Their phone numbers are below:
    United States 1-408-273-0888
    Canada 1-604-637-1419
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    Maybe load optimized defaults in the Bios?
  • yevyev
    edited August 2006
    DogSoldier wrote:
    Does your computer case look like this photo?

My search for a manual for the FIC AU31 turned up zilch. You might want to talk to eMachines support about setting your FSB to the proper frequency. Their phone numbers are below:
    United States 1-408-273-0888
    Canada 1-604-637-1419
    no my case doesnt look like that. i have an emachines t3085, prolly will call them today.
    edited August 2006
    I looked through FIC's site but had no luck finding jumper settings for that board.

yev, have you changed any jumpers on the board? If not, I would imagine that it almost has to be a BIOS setting.
  • yevyev
    edited August 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    I looked through FIC's site but had no luck finding jumper settings for that board.

yev, have you changed any jumpers on the board? If not, I would imagine that it almost has to be a BIOS setting.
    like i said i got a new mobo last week, so i think something changed...
    edited August 2006
    Whether it be in the BIOS or a jumper on the board itself, what you need to find is a way to correct the FSB setting.

See if you can find a jumper that says 100/166, if you find it make sure that it is set to 166.
  • yevyev
    edited August 2006
    where are the jumpers located?
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    taken from here.. http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t79403.html

"Your FSB setting is currently at 100, it needs to be 200. The geniuses that created this "custom" crap Bios labeled it as the CPU multiplier instead. So, go ahead and change that "CPU multiplier" line item (which is really the FSB) that you alluded to earlier to 200 mhz and that most likely will solve your problem."
  • yevyev
    edited August 2006
    i have no options in my bios for any multiplier, fsb, etc, the bios is locked down.
    edited August 2006
    yev wrote:
    where are the jumpers located?
    Look on the motherboard. Use a magnifying glass, if necessary. ;)

You said you got it last week, yet you didn't get a manual? Was it bought used?
  • yevyev
    edited August 2006
    it was replaced by emachines because the other one died, a technitian came to install it
    edited August 2006
    yev wrote:
    it was replaced by emachines because the other one died, a technitian came to install it
    You could tell them to send the guy back and set the jumper for you, or you can find it and do it yourself. It's your call as to which would be easier for you.