Automatic Restart After Boot-Up

edited August 2006 in Hardware
When I turn on my computer, it goes through the routine setup, the Windows logo/loading screen appears, and my desktop opens with the "Restore Your Active Desktop" message. However, a few seconds later my PC suddenly restarts and repeats this same process.

Sometimes it will give me a Fatal Error message, stating that Windows has experienced an unexpected error, just as it would any other program that has a "Not Responding" status. But, in most cases my PC just reboots on its own seconds after the desktop appears.

I've looked for an answer to this problem on the forums, but I've only found simlar problems, nothing that quite matches this. Any help would be great.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Boot into Safe Mode by tapping F8 just before Windows starts to load, then disable Active Desktop. If that allows you to boot normally we can narrow down the problem from there. :)
  • edited August 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Boot into Safe Mode by tapping F8 just before Windows starts to load, then disable Active Desktop. If that allows you to boot normally we can narrow down the problem from there. :)

I pressed F8 to open up the Safe Mode Menu and it gives me 5 options:

1- Safe Mode
    2- Safe Mode...
    3- Safe Mode...

4- Last mode that worked successfully

5- Boot normally

It tells me to choose an option with my arrow keys, but when I go to move between the options the arrow keys don't respond. ???
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    schueby wrote:
    ...It tells me to choose an option with my arrow keys, but when I go to move between the options the arrow keys don't respond. ???
    Is this a laptop? If it is, make sure that you have the Function key toggled to allow the arrows to work. :)