Did stanford change the points or WU's lately?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Folding@Home
I got a huge dump of points, by huge I mean over twice my usualy daily average.
Anyone know what's up? Or did I just get luck with all my systems turning work in on the same day?

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    I think you just got lucky, I used to get nothing but the 120pt gromacs. now I get anything from the 36pt to 300 pointers. My PPD. graph looks like the ocean during a gale!
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    If you look, you will see that your standing in the over all program has not dropped. This is effecting everyone.
    It is just the current crop of WUs.
    There are some big changes coming in the program. My guess is that they are focused on those and the current work is just cleaning up loose ends until then.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Checking this morning I've got another 5000ish points to be added for the 9am update on EOC. Whatever stanford is doing, I hope they keep it up for a while.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Sometimes Stanford is doing maintenance on one of their servers and finds a horde of WU's which had been previously overlooked. Judging by your sudden surge I'd bet that is what happened here.

My big hope is that the rest of us have a few WU's lurking around which will show up as well. :D
  • edited August 2006
    Stanford was hit by a really bad heatwave last week and they've had several servers shut down for a while. I think that what you might be seeing is points finally being counted from servers that they shut down during the heatwave to keep the whole project from losing power and now they are putting them back online.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Yepper, That heatwave has/is moving right on across the country to the east coast. Many people dieing from the heat. I have an Atomic clock in the office here and it includes a digital temp sensor I have placed outside on the block wall in the shade. It's been 101-105 degrees for a week plus now.
    On the WU note. I'm running Ambers,Gromacs and Tinkers right now. WeeeOooo
    All my WU's that were piling up got sent last week and I have none in queue.
    Then again they may start building up again.
  • edited August 2006
    so are you saying we should change our settings to this:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=20812&d=1154458166

Specifically do we need to enable scientific cores and/or work units if available?
    fah.JPG 65.2K
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    No, you don't have to enable advmethods. Right now you won't see any difference (at least I don't) however, if Stanford releases some new cores....

I usually put the advmethods flag in the client shortcut anyway. (not a service install)
  • edited August 2006
    What advantages/disadvantages does the -advmethods provide?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    With the advmethods flag you have a much better chance of getting the work units with the points bonus, ie. the QMD cores (when they were out). The downside is that the work demands are also greater (greater stress on your pc. overall). Personally, I save this flag (with the big WUs enabled) for my dedicated rigs.