LG DVD Burner doesn't work

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hi all

I bought a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-416OB like 2 years ago and it was working perfectly when i got it. It is supposed to read/write both cd's and dvd's. But over the past few monts it hasn't been acting normally. It doesn't burn cd's or dvd's anymore. It only seems to be able to read dvds and not cds. I have tried burning in safe mode but it doesn't work. Please help!

Thank you!

note - the dvd burner is connected as slave, and the dvd rom is connected as master.

Comments

• edited August 2006
    Try opening the tray and blasting the insides with a can of air. I've seen that fix up issues I've had with reluctant burners before.

If that doesn't help you might consider a new burner. Today a decent dual layer with Lightscribe will run you anywhere from $35 to $50 at newegg.
  • edited August 2006
    You mean open the actual dvd burner? and how do i "blast the insides with a can of air"? :wtf:
  • edited August 2006
    Buy a can of air, put the extension tube in said can of air, open tray on drive, stick extension tube in opening, pull trigger, move tube from side to side, release trigger. If neccessary, repeat.