Newly Built Computer Not Detecting IDE

King-without-a-crownKing-without-a-crown Glendale, Arizona
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Well I just finished building my computer and I started it up and everything was working fine. I formatted the hard drive and then I put in the disk that came with the MoBo. IT starts installing this thing called Xpress Recovery 2 and thren it stops and says that the IDE dive is not connected or all primary patitions are occupied, and when I put in Windows XP 2000 Home Edition it says that the system recovery Cds do not support the PC model.

Specs.
MoBo- Intel Gigabyte 775
Processor- Intel Pentium D dual core
Hard Drive- Maxtor 300GB
Video Card- GeForce 7600GSPCI Express 256MB
Memory- Dual DDR2 512MB = 1GB

:banghead: :scratch:

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2006
    Was that cd from a brand name computer such as dell, hp or emachines ?.
  • King-without-a-crownKing-without-a-crown Glendale, Arizona
    edited August 2006
    It is an Intel 988x/945 Series MoBo Utility CD. . .
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    I think GrayFox was asking about the "system recovery Cds". Are they from a name-brand computer company?
    edited August 2006
    The CD I mentioned in the last reply is the one that has the Xpress Recovery 2 on it.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    when I put in Windows XP 2000 Home Edition it says that the system recovery Cds do not support the PC model.

Specs.
    MoBo- Intel Gigabyte 775
    Processor- Intel Pentium D dual core
    Hard Drive- Maxtor 300GB
    Video Card- GeForce 7600GSPCI Express 256MB
    Memory- Dual DDR2 512MB = 1GB

:banghead: :scratch:

What system recovery CDs? Are they ones you made? Did they come with an OEM computer? The only cds you should be dealing with (I think) are your OS disk (XP or 2000) and your mobo driver disk (one that came with the mobo)
    edited August 2006
    I am dealing with the disk that came with my mobo. The windowsXP 2000 doesnt even work with the computer so I have to use the disk that came with it!

When I put it in it says that the IDE drive is not detected, but in the BIOS I have it all set up.
    edited August 2006
    I am dealing with the disk that came with my mobo.
    Could you describe the contents of this disc?
    The windowsXP 2000 doesnt even work with the computer so I have to use the disk that came with it!...
    WinXP and Win2000 are two entirely different things, to which are you referring? Describe "doesn't even work with the computer" in greater detail.

I'm sure that we can help you, but we're going to need specific information about what you have tried and what the results were. :)
    edited August 2006
    Sorry, I have windows XP Home Edition for some reason it doesnt work with the computer, like its not up to date enough or something?

Now that I have l9ooked at the BIOS setting I discovered that it is not detected there, but when its starting up and says scanning for IDE drive it shows up on IDE 0.

About the MoBo disk, It has Norton, DirectX for windows 9x/ME/2000/xp, Adobe Acrobat, system management utilities and a yahoo toolbar.
    edited August 2006
    Next step is to list all of your hard drives and CDROM/DVD drives, along with what type they are (IDE, SATA, etc). Tell us where each of them is connected. (i.e. Primary Master, SATA-1, etc.)

Have you checked the jumpers on your drives?

Answer the above questions in detail and we'll get you going.
    edited August 2006
    Ok
    I have a DVD ATA 33 Drive as my primary master diskand I have my hard drive set to IDE drive 0. Those are the only drives that I have for now.

The jumpers are set to master.
    edited August 2006
    Ok
    I have a DVD ATA 33 Drive as my primary master diskand I have my hard drive set to IDE drive 0. Those are the only drives that I have for now.

The jumpers are set to master.
    Primary Master and IDE-0 are often the same thing. Is the Hard Drive on another controller? How many IDE connections are there on the board?

What is the exact model of the motherboard?
    edited August 2006
    My motherboard is a Gygabyte GA81945plg 775 Intel 945 Express Dual DDR Sata Gblan (x16) PCIE 2PCIE 3PCI
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I don't think a Windows XP "Recovery" CD is the same as a regular operating system CD.

A "recovery" CD assumes that XP is already on the computer.

You need an OEM operating system CD to get it going.

I could be wrong, but I think this is right.
    edited August 2006
    How and where are the hard drive and DVD drive attached? How are they jumpered?
    edited August 2006
    The DVD Drive is connected to the IDE 1 and the Hard Drive is conneted to the IDE 2. My hard drive is connected to the master cble and the jumper is set to master, same with the DVD Drive.