Hardware Related Crashes

edited August 2006 in Hardware
i haave been agonizing over this for a while. My comp overheats/crashs/freezes abnormally and I think its my hardware. i have cheeked my temps and they seem pretty average at 89-110 and in attition i have a fan outside of my comp cooling the room.
here are some stats i got from everest home edition
Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Celeron D 320, 2400 MHz (18 x 133)
Motherboard Name Intel D845GVFN (3 PCI, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GV
System Memory 253 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (11/02/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

At first i thoght my comp was overheating so i opened the case. Next I thought it was sensative to vicration so i moved it too the floor. No results so finally Ikept looking for something wrong. Im not too computer savy but I found this

i have a pic of another computer i found that i hope i can use to explain. Iam not so computer savy or fimiliar with the parts so i am sorry if i am extremly noobish or confusing.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/540/compwebw4.png

Okay the "greyish film like stuff" connecting my floppy drive to that "brown flat board" lighted in pink is ripped in 3 places at once at where those black lines are but still one whole meeting up on both ends. Think blood vessels. I was wondering if that is causing my problems and what that brown board and grey strip is...

thanks in advance

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    I think, if i'm reading right, "greyish film like stuff"=ribbon cable. "brown flat board"=motherboard. Your ribbon cable for the floppy is a little different than the cables for the other IDE drives. If I remember right, it will be a little narrower, also 1 end of the cable will have a couple of slices where the wires in the cable were "flipped" on the end connection.

If you suspect the cable is damaged, try unplugging it from the motherboard and see if you still have problems.

Were you able to get Memtest to run? I saw in one of your older posts it was suggested to you.

Your temps look fine, as long as it's farenheit and not celcius. While you got your case open, I would suggest getting a can of compressed air and blowing out your PC anyway. It makes it a lot nicer to work on if your not fighting big ole dust bunnies.

Could you also list your Power supply specs? They should be posted on the side of the PSU. And, is this a "homebuilt" machine, or an OEM. (Compac,
    Dell)?
  • edited August 2006
    okay i cleaned out the comp with some conpressed air crashs still happen :(
    and as for the mem test i just kept saying a blinking "_" on a black screen didnt know if that was what was supposed to happen
    As for my power supply its a LC.B450 E therse a chart i cant quite make out as well.
    and my computer was purchased but i am not sure where my brother bought it.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    Is your version on memtest on a floppy or a cd? When your computer crashes, does it blue-screen?
  • edited August 2006
    removed the ribbion cable and still crashs. My mem test was on a floppy
    sometimes theres a blue screen then quick flash to black or just staight to black or sometimes it freezes on me
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Disable the automatic reboot when you get a BSOD, then write down the exact error message the next time it happens.

Go to System>>Advanced>>Startup & Recovery>>Settings, then uncheck Automatically restart.
  • edited August 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Disable the automatic reboot when you get a BSOD, then write down the exact error message the next time it happens.

Go to System>>Advanced>>Startup & Recovery>>Settings, then uncheck Automatically restart.

umm i am not sure how to do that could you please tell me?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    anyuser wrote:
    umm i am not sure how to do that could you please tell me?
    I just did. :mullet:

"System" is in Control Panel. Look around and you'll probably find it. ;)
  • edited August 2006
    ok did that and when it crashed i got the blue screen said something like this
    "driver_RQL_not_less_or_equal"
    tech info: ***stop:0x000000D1C0xC552AO61,0x000000002,0x000000000,0XC552A061
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Bad memory. Verify it by downloading, burning, and running memtest86 v3.2.

One error means your memory must be replaced.
  • edited August 2006
    i couldent find a disc to burn too but after using diskkeeper it said i was using 90% of my memory and such.. And also when i used a different mem test that didnt require running durring revort reported an error so how would i fix my memory/replace it