Memory Holding Me Back?

SlickSlick Upstate New York
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Well I was considering how much a gaming overhual would cost me. I havent really kept up on all the new hardware that has come out in the past year, so I am a little behind. Basically I plan to get a new motherboard, CPU, videocard(s), but here comes my questions. I have a GIG of 184 pin PC3200 memory, and was hoping to only buy one more gig stick. However I was looking on newegg and saw quite a few new types of memory. Do most motherboards still use pc3200 or will I need to get brand new memory aswell? Any ideas, also, could anyone explain the SLI mode of the nividia cards?

Comments

• Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2006
    SLI: Scalable Link Interface

When running Dual Channnel memory it's best to run matched modules. But as long as the new module has better specs than the current one everything should be (usually) OK

If you plan to upgrade to Socket 775 or Socket AM2 you're going to need DDR2 memory
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited August 2006
    After doing a bit of research I am looking into the AM2 socket processors. Don't know if I am going to go for theupgrade since I want a new bike aswell.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I would suggest conroe if performance is your goal.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2006
    I would suggest conroe if performance is your goal.
    Once it becomes (readily) available and the motherboard/memory bugs are worked out