Need SATA help

edited August 2006 in Hardware
First off, the specs...

MSI K8T Neo MB with the VT8237 ATA controller
Athlon 64 3000+

I've been running with 3, 40GB IDE HDD's thus far. I FINALLY decided to upgrade my storage, and bought a WD Caviar 7200rpm, 320GB SATA drive. This the the first time I've ever worked with a SATA drive. I installed it according to the doc, however my BIOS doesn't recognize that there is a HDD present.

SATA-IDE Controller setting is Enabled. PATA-IDE Controller is disabled. IDE drive detection is set to Auto.

There are currently no drives connected aside from that one. I'm running the latest and greatest BIOS revision. From everything I'm reading, the system should just pick up that the drive is there...but it's not.

So if anyone has ideas I could try, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited August 2006
    I had to install the RAID drivers that came with my motherboard so the BIOS would recognize it. I however am only running one harddrive, but for some reason my mobo wont recognize it unless it thinks its raid or something.

Then after that you have to hit a key during the windows instulation to install 3rd party sata drivers, or atleast I did, windows might already have yours built in.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Hi trav531, welcome to Short-Media!

Since the drive is not being detected in the BIOS, there should not be any driver/OS configuration to be concerned with at this point. The issue must be in the BIOS or a problem with the mainboard. I'm not familiar with your mainboard, but try another SATA port. Also, if you have more than one cable, try swapping it out as well.

From what you have mentioned so far, your BIOS is configured properly to recognize the drive. Do you have a screen popping up after the BIOS post (like an SiI SATA RAID bios) or anything of that type? Most modern boards *should* display the detected drive in the BIOS. Some older ones have a separate 'SATA controller' post screen that appears after the BIOS loads (even with integrated SATA controllers). Your board should not be one of the later.

Best of luck! and if you do sort it out, please post back and let us know what you did to correct the problem.
  • edited August 2006
    At least in my mobo you need to enable the Raid controller AND the individual channels.
    I'm running a Raid 0 with 2 Sata drives and I have enabled channels 1 and 2, but not 3 and 4, I'm also running another Sata HD out of channel 3. Your mobo may differ, but check.