1st a system32\config error, then lsass problem

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hi,

I'm a newbie with a problem with my Toshiba Satellite M55 laptop. I'm afraid that my tinkering at trying to one problem has led to a 2nd potentially more serious one.

Background:

The laptop does not have a floppy disk drive, although I do have a portable FDD that plugs into an USB port. The operating system is XP home. No XP installation discs shipped with the laptop and (the fool that I am) I never created these discs when prompted by the laptop.

I have had the laptop for just over 1 year and I used Norton Anti-virus, Webroot's SpySweeper, and my Linksys router's firewall.

1st problem:

When my subscription to Norton expired, I decided to switch to McAfee. I read that I should uninstall Norton first so as to avoid some potential conflicts. I used Norton's uninstall tool to remove Norton Anti-virus. It asked me to restart the computer. At that point, I received a system32\config error.

Following the advice of some posts that I found at this site, I was able to access the recovery console (using a friend's XP Pro CD). No password has ever been set for my system. I corrected my system32\config error by copying the system.bak file from the windows\repair directory.

2nd problem:

Upon rebooting, I attempted to log in using the last good log-in mode. At this point I received the lsass error loop.

Thinking that I could fix the problem again with recovery console, I tried to get back to the dos prompt. This time, when I left my password blank, I received a message indicating that I did not input the correct password.

I've gotten to the point of my (limited) PC expertise. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?
  • edited August 2006
    Unfortunately, booting into safe mode results in the same problem.
    edited August 2006
    Can you borrow a WinXP Home CD and try a repair install?

You could also have a try at using this method. :)
  • edited August 2006
    Unfortunately, most of my friends that XP Home are away for the weekend. I leave on vacation on Tuesday early AM, thus my urgency in trying to get this fixed.

I tried using one friend's XP Pro disk to do a repair install (before my lsass problem). It did not recognize any existing systems and asked if I wanted ot install new partitions. Needless to say, I quickly backed away. I do not know if it didn't recognize the existing system because it was looking for XP Pro, or for some other reason.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the password problem that I could try that don't involve XP Home disks?
    edited August 2006
    You could see if any of this helps, substituting a bootable CD for the floppy disks.
  • edited August 2006
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately (sigh), I ran into an error with RAR so I was not able to try to find the password. (It was unable to "rename a:\system.rar to a:\system.part1.rar"; it says this was caused by an invalid command.com)