ATX12V1 4 pin connector Question?

HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys,
I'm finally getting time to put a mobo together which I've been collecting parts for. It's time to boost the folding farm.
It's an Abit GURU zAN-7 MB, Athlon XP 3200+, 36GB 10,00RPM SATA WD Raptor Main HD & SATA WD Caviar 160 Backup HD ,2G OCZ PC3200 EL Dual Ch. Platinum-2-3-2-5, Saphire ATI Radeon X1600 PRO 256MB AGP, NEC 16X combo DVD/CD/-/+R/RW Double layer, Fortron Source 450 PS.
OK, Not knowing if all the parts were relivent, I posted them.
Here's my question-- On this Mobo it has a socket for the 20 pin power supply and it has the 4 pin ATX12V1 socket on the mobo. The PS has the 20 pin power plug and the extra 4 pin plug that fits it.
It doesn't say anything anywhere in the manual on whether I should plug in the extra 4 pin ATX12v1 plug.
Anyone know if it has to be plugged in or not?
From what I read online about it, it should be plugged in for any extra 12v power that the mobo might require. Otherwise it my overstress the 20 pin power plug and melt it down from over heating.
Just wanted to confirm it does need to be plugged in.
Thnx guys for the replies.

Comments

• edited August 2006
    Yes it needs to be plugged in. Those mobos started regulating the CPU off the ATX12V plug like Intels and would certainly pull too much current through the 20 pin if the plug is left undone.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thnx MM,
    I figured as much, but just wanted confirmation.
    Appreciate the quick answer bud.