IBM R40 Laptop display problems

edited August 2006 in Hardware
ok the actual LCD is still intact, lights up and everything. so im thinking its either the driver or the actual graphics chip on the mobo.

for the past 4 months or so my laptop has what i call the "matrix effect" the dispaly starts to do weird things like lines and distortion. ive reverted the driver and also updated it.. it has gotten to the point where the machine just crashes and when it comes back up windows says it has recovered from a serious error, says its a driver problem according to windows and it tells me to update the driver..so i do and nothing

also the battery finally died and i got a replacement battery but the laptop doesnt recognize it ...when i unplug the power from it it stays on for 10 secs then shuts off

can anyone help???

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Unfortunately, that does indeed sound like a graphics card issue of some kind, especially if you are getting windows crashes. If it were the LCD itself, it is unlikely that you would get problems within windows. If you are also getting power related issues, the issue could be with the power regulation circutry on the mainboard (this may also be the source of your graphics woes). I don't think the 'average joe' would be able to fix the problem, and you may have to call IBM for an authorized repair shop. I'm not sure if it is still under warranty?

Best of luck. Be sure to reply back and let us know what you do to correct the issue.