OVerclocking AM2 3800+ X2

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hey,

I am trying to overclock my 3800+ X2 and seem to have run into some problems. I have had no problems overclocking my 939, but can't get the hang of the AM2. I talked to a guy that clocked his X2 3800+ to 2.7. Supposively the same chip as the FX-62. If any of you have had some experience please give me a few tips. I am still novice at overclocking, so all advice is welcomed.

Thanks,

Radio91P:banghead:

Comments

• WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    hmmm try upping the vcore a lil...and the ramcore a lil just to give some more stability, its all trial and error in my experience
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    The first thing you'll want to do is use a lower RAM divider (i.e. the 667 or lower). Also, once you start passing a reference clock of 230MHz, you should drop the HTT/LDT multiplier to 4x (800MHz). Just increase it a few steps at a time until you see some instability. At that point, you should begin increasing the vcore.

A few questions:
    1) What brand/model/spec ram are you using in this rig?
    2) What brand/model mainboard are you using?

Most of the steps in the guide I wrote for 939/754 still apply to AM2 (see link in my signature). I hope to update it soon to include AM2 overclocking.

Best of luck!
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited August 2006
    Hey Lemon,

Thanks for the tips, your guide is how I even have an inckling of what I am doing, so thanks.

Asus M2NE
    2x512kb DDR2 800 Mushkin extreme w/ stock timings of 4.4.3.12
    AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    Antec Truepower 550W

What is the most accurate temp guage. Using both coretemp as well as PCProbe. Probe states 46 under load and coretemp states 38-40 under load. Which is best for accurate readings?

Thanks,
    edited August 2006
    Also bios revision 0203
    edited August 2006
    Hey Lemon, this is where I am at right now!

FSB=301
    Multiplier=9
    Vcore=1.47
    3x htt
    w/DDR2 800 divided to 533 at 4.4.3.12. 2T

Which leaves me at a final speed of 2709.

idle running at 44-45, load 55 with crap cooler(according to pcprobe)

I have the new Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 cooler coming which will hopefully keep this a lot cooler. Going for the FX-62 speeds for $150 bones,

ahhahahahahahhaha:thumbsup:

Later
    by the way, it's stable for over one hour on Prime95
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Radio91P wrote:
    Hey Lemon, this is where I am at right now!

FSB=301
    Multiplier=9
    Vcore=1.47
    3x htt
    w/DDR2 800 divided to 533 at 4.4.3.12. 2T

Which leaves me at a final speed of 2709.

idle running at 44-45, load 55 with crap cooler(according to pcprobe)

I have the new Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 cooler coming which will hopefully keep this a lot cooler. Going for the FX-62 speeds for $150 bones,

ahhahahahahahhaha:thumbsup:

Later
    by the way, it's stable for over one hour on Prime95

Awesome! Congrats on an awesome overclock so far! :cheers:

What was holding you back? was it the RAM divider? I'm happy to see your ASUS board was able to handle a 300MHz reference clock. Hopefully your new Zalman will lower your temps enough for you to push further a bit. If you can keep the temps under 50'C, you should have some ideal conditions to push ahead (and increase the vcore a bit more).

Best of luck! let us know where you end up :)
    edited August 2006
    Thanks Lemon,

I think part of the problem was that I forgot to change the htt multiplier from 4 to 3. In addition, my motherboard would automatically multiply by 10 instead of the 9 that I had it set on. This would cause the board to fail POST everyother time. When in windows this bugger is stable as a rock. Haven't had any more problems now though. Don't know if it was just a glitch or what.

Thanks,
    Radio91P