Is it me, or is someone at dell on crack?

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
This is straight from Dells Website, are crt's really measured this way? if so, it is something new to me:eek:

crt_vs_lcd_a.jpg

Edit: I just went and measured a 17" CRT, and guess how big it was from screen corner to screen corner.... a little under 17", imagine that.

Comments

• deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited August 2006
    Nope, that's correct. Most CRT measurements are the size of the tube, not the visible screen area which in practice means the reported screen size usually includes some of the plastic round the outside too.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    deicist wrote:
    Nope, that's correct. Most CRT measurements are the size of the tube, not the visible screen area which in practice means the reported screen size usually includes some of the plastic round the outside too.

I know it includes some of the plastic, but the tube doesnt extend all the way to the edge of the plastic, and I know so, because the cotrols for the monitor are there, making it impossible for the tube to extend that far.

I know that if you buy a 17" crt, you wont get a full 17" viewable, but you dont loose much, maybe 1/4"-3/8" on each side, give or take, but dell is illustrating that you loos 2-3"...bs.
  • edited August 2006
    Most CRT's lose 3/4" to 1" in viewable area. The ones that don't are the minority.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    My 22" Nec Multisync has only 20" of viewable space. In my experience, it is about 1" lost at average. I don't think it is accurate to say that they are measured to the edge of the plastic (perhaps dell monitors are, but not all). As someone else mentioned, it is the tube itself measured, not the plastic casing.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    My 21" CRT has a few sixteenths of an inch over 20 viewable.
  • edited August 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    My 22" Nec Multisync has only 20" of viewable space. In my experience, it is about 1" lost at average. I don't think it is accurate to say that they are measured to the edge of the plastic (perhaps dell monitors are, but not all). As someone else mentioned, it is the tube itself measured, not the plastic casing.

My 21" Dell CRT has about 20" viewable and that's nowhere near the outside of the plastic casing. It's hype.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    this is how its always done...so a 19" lcd is like a 21" crt...its always been that way
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    This would account for my my 17" widescreen laptop screen is as tall as the viewable area on the 19" CRT I had... I fixed that problem though with a 20.1" widescreen LCD monitor to replace it :D

The CRT was a viewsonic e90 or something...
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Intresting topic here... my 21" Viewsonic CRT's actually have 21" of screen showing...
  • edited August 2006
    Some one at dell is on crack. FTW!!!