CD drive won't spin up

GobdGobd Seattle, WA
edited June 2003 in Hardware
My CD Drive is fairly new (under 8 months) and its a 48x24x48x optowrite drive that i got from bestbuy. Just yesterday after i finished writing a CD at 40x i put the CD back in the drive to test it and it wouldn't spin up. I tested a bunch of other CDs and none of them spin up. Its not that the power is disconnected because the drive opens and closes and the lights blink. I already tried restarting the computer and that didn't do anything either.

Anyone have advice on what to do? I won't be able to test any of the ideas for about 2 hours or so though :( I'm posting this from my school webdesign class so i get some things to try right when i get home. I've got about 10 things that need to be burned tonight and i don't feel like using my two 4x drives that take 20 minutes to write a full CD.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Take it back. It's dead.
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    OK then, so whats a good new drive to buy? I want something is at least 48x24x48x and preferably has an 8mb cache and is cheap.

I can't take it back either, its been to long, i have no receipt and don't have the manufacturer warrenty thing anymore... oh well, i love taking things apart :)
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    Is thise drive any good?

It only has 2mb cache is that really enough to prevent making coasters if you are using the PC while you burn a CD?

Store:http://www.store.yahoo.com/pclink/lit52cd.html
    Firmware: http://www.liteonit.com.tw/webfw/LTR-52246S/R526S0C.zip

Just making notes on where it is for me :) i'm at school so i can't email it to myself at home. That stre has nice cheap 3 day UPS shipping it's only 12$ to 3 day 2 drives to seattle.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Sure, cache doesn't matter a whole lot anymore since most drives have some sort of BURN-Proof tech. . This one has such a tech.
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    Sooo, my old drive magicly started to work again after i restarted the computer yesterday, windows noticed the drive and installed it and then the drive would open and burn CDs fine. I guess all those restarts right after it broke did nothing. I still have no clue why it stopped working, all i did was burn 3 cds in the drive in a row then aftier i put the 4th one in it wouldn't spin it up so i restarted and it still wouldn't spin up. Oh well, now i will just have two high speed cdrw drives.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Maybe the cable is shot, or some contacts are loose somewhere.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    no wires are loose. I can tell you what happen. inside the cd drive is a device caled a stepper motor. In motors you can get, what's called, a dead spot. Basicly if the motor stop on a certain spot it won't spin again. I'll spare you the details. But what prob. happened is when you were burning an disc somehow also burned a dead spot into you motor. Prob heat, or it was defective right from the factory. But it started up again becasue on restart it gets an extra kick of power. enought to over come the dead spot. if it happen again just look inside the drive and you'll see the motor. just give a spin with you finger, it will start up again. But my advice is ditch the drive, becasue that's an annoying problem.