ASUS P5P800 SE problem

edited August 2006 in Hardware
I saw there were people using this motherboard on this forum, so i have a question to a problem i bumped to.

I have decided to upgrade my former system (pIII dual proc 1.0Ghz,gigabyte 6vxd7) with a new motherboard, and processor, and suitable Ram, but i wanted to use my old AGP graphic card, and the PCI components which i still have.

So i bought a pentium D 930 processor, 2x 256 kingston DDR Ram (for dual chanel) and the ASUS p5p800 motherboard. When i've put the system together into the case i realised that the power supply doesn't fit because of the ATX 20 PIN connector. I am not an expert in electrics,so my fear to make a short-circuit on the mtherboard didn't give me any courage to plug and try the existing supply, so i went to a shop and bought a 24 PIN ATX power supply, but as i found out later 20 PIN works just the same:-/ .

After all that i've started the system up,but nothing came on the screen. I have switched the RAM(all combinations),even tryed another firm(took it from the neighbours AMD PC) than i used an old PCI graphic card, if this would perhaps be the problem, and finally, cleared the CMOS as written in the manual. Still nothing. After a day of changing RAM, power supply, all the PIN-s on the board, i have given up and wrote to asus support. They were kind and described me all the procedures i have already done. After a while i went to the internet and realised that this motherboard doesn't even support the Pentium D processors, so after questioning the asus support, they've told me to buy a Second edition, so a P5P800 SE, to work properly.

That was the preface, now the problem.:hrm:

I have bought the Asus P5P800 SE. After putting the graphic card, the RAM and the processor in (without the cooling FAN) i have started, the system , just to see if it works, before i will put it into the case. As it turned out , it was the same thing as on the P5P800 motherboard. I didn't even came to see the BIOS. Nothing on the screen.After 2 minutes the system shut down because of processor overheating. After that i have mounted the processor cooling FAN. I have started up the system but nothing happened.I have again changed RAM, but now with the difference from above, when i didn't have the RAM in the motherboard the system speaker has given some beeps out (which hasn't happened on the p5p800). After a while, of turning on and off, processor wasn't getting warm anymore. The motherboard didn't wanted to turn off if i held the ATX switch button in for 10sec, and it still doesn't give any beeps if i take the RAM out.

Could it be possible that the processor overburned (drop dead from overheating), or could it be that the motherboard is damaged?

I still don't know what the reason is, why i can't even come to see anything on the display, the BIOS. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong from this three things : Motherboard ASUS,Ram, Processor? All are new from the shop.

P.S.:
The graphic cards i was using (and still are) during the testing are ATI 9800 SE (AGP) and ATI rage pro 3D (PCI) which is momentary on the system from which i am posting this message. The display is working,because i am looking into it right now.
:respect:

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    redmax wrote:
    Could it be possible that the processor overburned (drop dead from overheating), or could it be that the motherboard is damaged?

Was it a local shop you bought the parts from? If so I would take the proc and mobo back to see if they can be tested. I'm assuming you dont have a Pentium d or another mobo lying around you could use for further testing.

Is the power light on? Lower left of the mobo. Could you also list the specs of PSU.
  • edited August 2006
    Donut wrote:
    Was it a local shop you bought the parts from? If so I would take the proc and mobo back to see if they can be tested. I'm assuming you dont have a Pentium d or another mobo lying around you could use for further testing.

Is the power light on? Lower left of the mobo. Could you also list the specs of PSU.

Every component was bought in another store, because the one i bought the CPU in didn't have any asus things for sale.The RAM was bought used and p5p800 was bought thru ebay, but has 3 months sellers guarantee. I am going to buy in 2 days a pentium 4 processor just to test the motherboard, because that is the only thing i have left, which i haven't yet tested (the processor)
    The Mobo has only one LED light(for soundblaster as i read in the booklet), which is turned on, when power is running through the PSU. And the Northbridge is a bit warm, if left running the Mobo for a while.So i figure perhaps the motherboard is working. (if i run the p5p800 motherboard with this processor, northbridge is not just warm, but very hot)

The specs for my two PSU's:
    1. Currently in use
    POWER,LC 6550G 550W, 140mm silent giant pc power supply 24PIN ATX connector
    http://www.lc-power.com/
    2. I use this one on my old PC
    Q-TEC PSU 500W big fan switching power supply , 20 PIN ATX connector
    http://www.qtec.info/products/
  • edited August 2006
    redmax, trying to boot up even for just a few seconds without a heatsink on any of the desktop processors available nowdays is a big no-no. They get way too hot too fast to try this with. Even though the P4, P-D and Celeron procs are supposed to have built in overtemp safeguards, this isn't a good idea. It is definitely possible that you cooked the processor. You really need to test the processor in another motherboard and see if it boots. As for another processor to test with, I would suggest a Celeron D 326, which is cheap and a LGA775 processor. I don't know where you live, but I bought one for flashing my P5W DH board and it was $47 from Newegg delivered.