Next-gen Cards from ATI and NVidia (R600, G80)

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I've been holding off on an upgrade for my X850XT for a while now. I purchased it about a year and a half ago at a full price ($599 I think, I've never paid that much for a card before :-/), so I really want it to stretch as long as possible.

With DX10 coming, and hints of the next gen ATI and NV cards, I want to wait for the next 'big thing' before buying. R600, G80.. who knows.

Any ideas of when we may start seeing these next gen cards? Are they really going to be as powerful as everyone is hinting? What do you think?

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Well DX10 is on our door step, and Nvidia's G80 will be the first to roll out a card that supports this new tech. We are hoping to see the new G80 which is an entirely new chip which will put the G71 series chip to sleep. So far it looks to be late September for the G80 which Nvidia has confirmed being taped out last month, and they are seeing great performance. From the looks of it ATI will have it's X1950 out when Nvidia launched its new king of the hill.

I haven't heard to much on ATI's new DX10 card, as details have been running very slow out of ATI since AMD bought them. I am actually surprised that we haven't seen more info being soiled as tons of ATI workers have fled the big red company..."now green". I am dying to get some juicy leaked info.

In regards to how powerful these new cards will be is uncertain, but the technology they will be supporting will open our eyes to a new graphical level of gaming. I took almost 4 years for game developers to really start to push Dx9 and from what I can tell DX10 open about 10 million more doors for new things. Until we start seeing DX10 in action we only know what is written on paper.

I have my speculation on these new cards, and I am thinking we will see a bit better jump in performance this time around.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Well DX10 is on our door step, and Nvidia's G80 will be the first to roll out a card that supports this new tech. We are hoping to see the new G80 which is an entirely new chip which will put the G71 series chip to sleep. So far it looks to be late September for the G80 which Nvidia has confirmed being taped out last month, and they are seeing great performance. From the looks of it ATI will have it's X1950 out when Nvidia launched its new king of the hill.

I haven't heard to much on ATI's new DX10 card, as details have been running very slow out of ATI since AMD bought them. I am actually surprised that we haven't seen more info being soiled as tons of ATI workers have fled the big red company..."now green". I am dying to get some juicy leaked info.

In regards to how powerful these new cards will be is uncertain, but the technology they will be supporting will open our eyes to a new graphical level of gaming. I took almost 4 years for game developers to really start to push Dx9 and from what I can tell DX10 open about 10 million more doors for new things. Until we start seeing DX10 in action we only know what is written on paper.

I have my speculation on these new cards, and I am thinking we will see a bit better jump in performance this time around.

Thanks for the info Sledge!

Based on those late 2006 dates, I think it definitely makes sense for me to hold off until then. The X850 should hold me off for a while longer, although it certainly struggles in games like oblivion. I don't think I'm going to go bleeding edge again (like I did with the X850XT), but I'll wait until something like a 'GT' or a 'second highest' model comes available. Not worth the big price premium for a small improvement in performance.
    edited August 2006
    Hey I am running Oblivion on Dual 7900GTX cards at full res with full AA & AF and it struggels in some parts... so don't feel left out :) the crappy part is your card lacks SM 3.0 which is a huge piece in most games that are out and coming out.

the G80 will be a huge leap as will ATI's offerings... they are both leading onto new tech.. and ATI's 80nm GPU's might finally be lower power and less heat than Nvidia.... we will see sooner than later.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    lets hope so...these ridicilious power standards have gotten out of control to the point that its lucrative to make auxillary PSU's for ur gpu's that is rates at 250W...i mean if i were to upgrade GPU and it required a ridicilious amount of power i would rather have its own power supply...just seems nicer that way..but above all i would want efficent power consumption...and oh yea...if videogames coudl make their code more efficent than just splattered a whole bunch of polygons on the screen and then cutting up the monitor into two different sections...seems like a pansy way out...
    oh and yea...if gpus could be utilized for folding..that would be cool too
  • edited August 2006
    personaly i think ATI is going to win (not being a fanboy) its just the chip in the Xbox360 which is made by ATI supports DX10, also the X1900 series can emulate DX10 (Crysis videos, they said they were running on Crossfire X1900XT emulating DX10)

supposivly ATI is saying their DX10 card is going to be as big like as when the 9700 came out, for those that dont know when the 9700 came it out freaking mopped the floor with any Nvidia card D:, it was also the first DX9 card
    edited August 2006
    I don't think ATI's card has what it will take to mop the floor liek they did back in the 9700PRO days... Both companies have pretty dang good architecture going into DX10, only time will tell who will have the better card.
  • edited August 2006
    agreeded just saying...but i'm still thinking ATI may have the upper hand :X