Graphics card severe problem!

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hey everyone,

I recently cleaned my computer, I took all necessary precautions, I removed my graphics card (Radeon 9800XT) and cleaned it with compressed air. After reinstalling it I had the graphics problem.

Since then I have tried the following:
- Re-seating the graphics card
- Swapping the power input to the graphics card
- Changing the voltage to the graphics card in the BIOS
- Removing objects from my computer (in case it was an overburdened power supply problem)
- Changing graphics card features on desktop (I have found that changing the hardware acceleration slider helps minimally, turning off write combining works VERY well but the problem still exists when it is turned back on.)

Can anyone PLEASE help? I paid a fortune for this graphics card when it was released, I don't want to write it off!

Comments

• edited August 2006
    Apologies for the double post, in case you didn't see it, I attached a picture of the graphics card problem, in case you wanted to look at it. It is a screenshot of my desktop. The graphics card is very messed up.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    swap the PSU see if the problem happens...i had the same problem and it ended after i switched power supplies dont spend any money on it..borrow one from a friend...cuz friends don't let friends be without proper working power supplies
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    ONce you get garbel it is usually toast... I don't know what else to say, you can try it in another PC to see if you get the same issues, If so its a goner... if not you know it is something else...
  • edited August 2006
    I bought myself a new X800 for 200 bux, the problem is gone. Thanks for your help.

A moment of silence for the damned card.
  • edited August 2006
    Is that an ATI brand Radeon 9800XT? If so, you might be able to RMA it since they carry a 3 year warrantee. That way you would have a decent backup card at least or you could sell it and get some of your money back that you spent for the X800.
  • edited August 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Is that an ATI brand Radeon 9800XT? If so, you might be able to RMA it since they carry a 3 year warrantee. That way you would have a decent backup card at least or you could sell it and get some of your money back that you spent for the X800.
    Great idea. Just one question. What is RMA?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited August 2006
    RMA=Return Merchandise Authorization

If it's under warrantee, go for it.
  • edited August 2006
    Awesome dude, thanks, Ill be contacting ATI asap. :) thanks for all the help guys, ciao
    - TheDark12