Bad formating makes words dissapear.

edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hello,

I just got a new laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 graphics card. The laptop runs Windows XP Home edition. I've noticed that some of the formating is off and some words arn't shown. I'll try to get some images in here because I can't really describe it. I was wondering if anyone knew any tweaks or such that I could do to make the formating better.

-Thank you.

Here's an example of what i'm talking about:

1035950874_l.jpg

there are many other windows like this one. Any one know what to do? :-/

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2006
    Disable large fonts.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Are you running it at its native resolution?
  • edited August 2006
    I dont know about large fonts but I found the DPI setting and it was on "Large" so I put it to normal and now everything is good (actually kinda tiny, but w/e). :bigggrin:

I dont really know what the default resolution is on my computer. I'm running it at 1920x1200 pixels. It's a 17" wide screen. And I think this is the way it came. But the problem looks fixed.

Thanks for your help. :clap:
    edited August 2006
    Sir Guy wrote:
    ...I dont really know what the default resulation is on my computer...
    You should definitely find out, just to be sure. A CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) used in "regular" monitors can adjust the beam to many different resolutions. LCD's (like in your laptop) have a fixed number of elements. Running a resolution other than the one you're supposed to forces the display to fake it, usually resulting in an image not nearly as crisp as it should be.

Glad you got the immediate problem fixed, though. :D
  • edited August 2006
    hmmm Interesting about LCD's. How would I find out what my default is?

Also, I've noticed that my display seems "pixelated." I notice this most when Windows is starting up. The big "Microsoft Windows XP" is really (I dont know how to explain this other than saying it looks "boxy"). Again I'll try to get a screen shot of what I'm talking about. But, know what my problem is here? I was thinking it might have something to do with my graphics card or maybe just my screen.:scratch:

These arn't very good examples but they still look a bit pixelated, not as much as the windows start-up (I can't get a screen shot of the windows start-up ;) ):

1040363749_l.jpg

1040364097_l.jpg

1040363270_l.jpg

1040362937_l.jpg
    edited August 2006
    What is the exact brand and model# ?
  • edited August 2006
    ummm. I have a Dell Inspiron E1705. Is that what you meant? :skeptic:

This is the display that I bought:

17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™
    edited August 2006
    According to this review, your laptop runs at a 1,900x1,200 native resolution. Looks like you're right on target. :cheers:
  • edited August 2006
    ok good. :smiles: thanks for checking.

I noticed another "formating" thing that's a bit off:

1040655420_l.jpg

So, if it's not the "large fonts" thing, or the resolution, then what is it? :confused2 lol
  • edited August 2006
    anyone know what's causing this?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Have you restarted since setting the font DPI back to normal? I believe you have to for EVERYTHING to change back properly.
  • edited September 2006
    yes i've restarted many times. :-/