Hard-Drive need help

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Ok, im 16 years old and I know a nice chunk of stuff about hardware and computers. My brother has an old 80gb hard drive from an old dell that he let me have I put it in my computer and set both of the plastic things on the hard drive(not sure what their called) to Cable select, and the IDE wire is set on my Hard drive as master and my bros old one as slave. Ok, I booted up the computer and loaded from my CD to get to the repair console and I typed MAP and I noticed that my bros old drive ( slave) isnt showing...
So I typed diskpart to check it and it says This drive is not accessible by the drive, its some sort of 80gb maxtor also if that helps. So I started up my comp without the disk after I couldnt format it, and I checked device manager and of course , working properly, doesnt show in MY COMPUTER? So Only my drive is showing there at this point i have no idea what to do because of my un l33t experience with this. So you may be confused at this point because im very bad at explaining things. Moral is Both drives correctly put into my computer, Windows setup cant access my drive when i try to format, and when I start up my comp it doesnt even show in My computer but it does show in Device manager as working!

Please help, Best regards.. ME :D

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Go to START >> SETTINGS >> CONTROL PANEL >> ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS >> COMPUTER MANAGEMENT >> DISK MANAGEMENT.

Do you see the 80gb drive in there? If so, right click on it and hit "Make partition active" if you can, and try to format it from there. Also, right click again and hit "Properties," and hit "Change drive letter and path." Hit "Add" and give it a drive letter of your choosing if it doesn't have one.
  • edited August 2006
    Its not listed there.... im so confused its listed as working and i KNOW Its hooked in properly.. :(
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Reset the jumpers to master for your HDD, and slave for your brother's. Cable select doesn't always work right.
  • edited August 2006
    Nope dont work.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Try doing the drives one at a time and see if they are both identified properly in the BIOS. Don't have anything attached as the slave drive on that channel when you do it.