Is my monitor dying?

edited August 2006 in Hardware
I had this queston in the wrong forum, so I'm posting it here again:

I'm wondering if my crt monitor is dying, or I if I'm doing something wrong...

Has anyone experienced this:
Every minute or so my the display will increase in magnification by 3 or 4 pixels on each side for a fraction of a second, before reverting back to it's original state.... it's kind of like its pulsing, but it never loses the image. It's a Compaq p1220 from 2002.
Is it dying, or is there something I can fiddle with?
I'm working on a mac mini with the 32mb video card it shipped with. It's presently set up at a 1152x870 resolution and 75 hertz refresh rate.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• edited August 2006
    John,

Saw your other post.

I have a 21 NEC P1250 that for a period of several weeks+ was doing as you had posted, have posted above.

Screen Image would increase briefly,(like a pulse) then return to normal, making a hmm sound briefly as it did it.

As time progressed it did it more and more, till finally the unit would finally not power up...and it totally DEAD now

Looking for a solution. Confirmation on the proper place to look.

Place to start looking???? My first thought being a bad solder (cold solder joint) on the High Voltage transformer since that is the largest component on the board.

Most boards using "wave" soldering which solders everything on a board at the same time... problem with that is it creates COLD solders on LARGE items , because a large item requires more heat, than a smaller one... If the heat is turned up to really give the large items on the board a good solder it's too hot and burns up smaller components that may be affected by too much heat...

Hence the cold solders that appear, most of the time after a period of on /off cycles (heating and cooling).. the cold solder getting bigger an bigger.

I'd pull the back case off and AFTER discharging the crt /HV check for bad solders.... Most of the time you can "see" a crack...
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited August 2006
    My monitor more recently has begun doing things like this. There will be two brighter lines at the top and bottom of the screen that slightly distort the image around it. If they get nearer the center of the screen, the horizontal image will get smaller by at least 20 pixels on the top and bottom. Also, it'll do this fairly rapidly, sort of flickering like that. Three or four times in about a year and a half, the monitor has shut off the tube with a snap or pop, and it won't turn back on unless I turn it off using the power button and then back on.

The monitor is a Mag Innovision 800V 19", manufacture date of June 2000 (I purchased this on Dec 2000)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Those are either dying cathode ray tubes (The things that actually make an image on the screen), or a dying power converter. The former is far more likely.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited August 2006
    The same thing happens on an old (1999) ViewSonic PS790 19'' CRT I have. It's done it since 2001 though and it still runs (even after a 15'' subwoofer was placed in close proximity to see what would happen.) I never really cared to look at what makes the monitor do what it does. It's not really worth fixing. Hell any CRT isn't worth fixing in my opinion...LCDs are the way to go now.

I would just use it till it dies...when it does it's not a big loss. Just buy an LCD.

~FA