Health Question

2»

Comments

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    A meta-analysis has the greater statistical power; systematic review trumps cherry picked primary studies.
    Annes
  • Well what makes me feel like it's a risk are the studies on the rats :P Thanks boogies!
    JBoogaloo
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

Not meaning to necro, but I always remembered this thread.
    A few years ago my wife and I started drinking lot's of diet soda with aspartame. We quit two weeks ago after I found these:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16507461
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17805418

I realize these tests are on rats, but we don't feel like risking it. We basically drink water and coffee now. Occasional juice, beer, and wine. I'm still on the fence about Splenda and Stevia. My new strategy for our health is to just stop being addicted to sweet.

The results of this mega-experiment indicate that APM is a multipotential carcinogenic agent, even at a daily dose of 20 mg/kg body weight, much less than the current acceptable daily intake. On the basis of these results, a reevaluation of the present guidelines on the use and consumption of APM is urgent and cannot be delayed.

also, according to the can of coke zero i am drinking, 20 mg/kg is ~40 cans of diet per day for a 150lb man.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    AKA as 14 liters of water, at which point you would very likely also be reaching water toxicity!
  • Basil said:

A meta-analysis has the greater statistical power; systematic review trumps cherry picked primary studies.

That's if all studies included in your sample were testing the same thing right?

My inclination here is that the EFSA reviewed a large number of studies on the effects of Aspartame on humans, and found them to be sound. The majority of them, if not all, indicate that there can not be a caustic relationship between cancer and aspartame so they say here is an ADI go for it. Which is entirely logical.
    However, there are studies in controlled environments (unlike X number of humans over X years that are exposed to changes in lifestyle, chemical exposure, etc over the years), that definitively show aspartame given to rats over time causes them to develop cancers.

Is it wrong of me to mentally discard the studies done on humans because I think it is nearly impossible to prove anything like that? I guess that's cherry picking. I don't know, someone tell me I'm an idiot with good logical reasoning so I can go back to drinking my filthy diet soda. I miss it.

• Thanks @malia, @basil, @thrax, and @shwaip.
    I feel better about it now, back on the coke zero train we go.