ATX 4 PIN 12V broken?

edited August 2006 in Hardware
I recently installed a new motherboard and cpu (Asus A8V-MX and Athlon 64 3200+) along with a 160 GB HD and 512 MB System Memory. My power supply is 450w CoolMax (which has worked for me before on the old mobo/cpu).

My problem is that the ATX 4PIN 12V cord that attatches seperate from the 24 PIN connecter isn't working, at least I'm not sure. When the cord is plugged in, I get a quick flash from the CPU Fan and then the system shuts off. It's literally like 1/10th of a second. When it's not plugged in, the system starts up, but never boots or posts.

Do I have a faulty 12V cord? It's worked on other machines, so how come not this one?

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    My system did the same thing until I found there was another 4 pin plug that fit the ATX 4PIN 12V socket.
    Look at your other plugs from the power supply and see if there's another one that is 4 pin. Try it if you have one.
    And make sure the clip on it goes to the proper spot where the clip retention lock is. It's just a little edge that sticks out.
    Hope that's the same problem you have and cures it.
    If not.. Do you have a power supply tester? That way you can be sure if it's good or bad.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    The 4pin that detaches from the ATX12v connector is not the same 4pin that goes in the ATX+4 connector on your motherboard. As hawk says, find another one, there are two.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Yes. The wrong one doesn't fit good actually. The wrong one has to be forced in. The pins are different on the 2 connectors as well.

Like my old man always says..always look before you stick things in :D
  • edited August 2006
    yeah, it's definitely the right pin.
    i'm positive.

AND i don't have a psu tester, so...

thanks for the replies.

guess its a bigger problem. hmph.

EDIT: I just switched power supplies with another working one (out of my computer now, not the one i'm installing the new mobo/cpu in) and it still does not post. driving me up the wall by now, because it seems like a fault motherboard. any other ideas? thanks again.