Not Getting Full Speed...

edited August 2006 in Hardware
My friend recently gave me his PC because he thought it was broken and trashed. Well it turned out all it needed was a new motherboard and I got it up and running. My only problem is that it has a 2.53 GHz processor in it but its only reading about 1.89 GHz. I don't really know that much about the BIOS and stuff so is that where my problem is or what?

Thanks

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I really have no clue about P4's but I think you need to change the FSB (front side bus speed) and/or the multiplier in the bios. I'm guessing it uses a FSB of 133 and a multiplier of 19.
  • edited August 2006
    How do i change the FSB or the multiplier?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I'm rather slow right now since I'm on some meds so I may overcomplicate things.

Tell me what board it uses (make and model) or if you could find it's manual on line, I'll try and tell you where you can change the FSB and multiplier.

Different boards just different bios, and most have different layouts and options in one place where others have them in others or they're named differently. Most of the times when you enter the bios (pressing Delete when the machine boots), the menu where these options are located is at the top right.
  • edited August 2006
    The board is an Intel d854bg.
    edited August 2006
    I'm not getting any results for that board on Google. Is it a brand name computer or custom built?
  • edited August 2006
    Well the computer is a VPR Matrix and originally came with a Intel D845EBT. But as I said it was fried and I had to buy a new board. I bought a new board off ebay which was said to be a Intel D845EBT but when I recieved the board it was really a Intel D845BG. As far as I can tell there really isnt much of a difference between the two except one has 1394 and the other doesn't. Either way it doesn't matter to me as I have a 1394 PCI card anyway.
    edited August 2006
    Ok. Went to Intel's site and downloaded the motherboard's manual.

Pretty simple. It's running on a FSB of 200mhz and you need to change it to 266mhz. The thing is that the board does it automatically based on how the ram was programmed. Unless there's an actual jumper on the board, there's no options in the bios.

Windows did detect the cpu correctly so idk. Maybe it's downclocked due to it being idle. Have you tried running a cpu intensive program and see if it increases the speed? Not sure if those boards and cpu support that option.

My other guess would be to try some other ram. Faster one if possible.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    i would suggest looking around the main vios area and implementing "optimal" settings or sumthing to that effect...iot should do the trick...its kinda like fail safe options..but the exact oppposite
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Can you run CPU-Z and post a screenshot of its output?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited August 2006
    My guess is that you're using RAM slower than the default FSB speed of the mobo. I think PC3200 (DDR400) or better would fix your problem.
  • edited August 2006
    Heres the screen shot. So TheGR81, you think that RAM will work with my system?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    The FSB is at 100MHz. You need to set the "FSB," "Reference clock" or "Host clock" (Every computer refers to it differently) to 133MHz.
  • edited August 2006
    Okay, how do I change it? I've had people tell me to go to the BIOS and I have searched it over and there is nothing there too change that has to do with FSB.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Zender wrote:
    Okay, how do I change it? I've had people tell me to go to the BIOS and I have searched it over and there is nothing there too change that has to do with FSB.

You're right. Your board does it automatically. What kind of RAM is in the PC?
  • edited August 2006
    512 mb ddr-sdram pc2100 133mhz